1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my first ever 1911 in Stainless Steel. Before I shoot it I am going to field strip it, clean it, and lubricate it. My question is this: Is an oil like CLP sufficient to lubricate the rails (and everything else) of a stainless pistol or do I need to use grease on the rails? The only thing the manual states is that Stainless pistols require more lubrication...that's it. I'm not sure how to interpret that.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
You don't need to put grease on the rails - some do - some don't. Grease is not recommended on the rails if there is a chance you will shoot your pistol in colder weather, where it may congeal and prevent the pistol from cycling reliably.

Many use a good high-quality lube (like FP-10) to lubricate their pistols entirely - including the rails.

Stainless pistols do not necessarily require more lube, as long as the lube you use is a good quality one. The idea of more lube stems back to the (mostly obsolete) problem that stainless will gall if not lubricated properly. Proper slide to frame fitting has all but eliminated this problem now.

Use a good quality lube (or grease, if you choose), and regularily clean and re-lube, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
393 Posts
i use grease, superlube on the rails. resists cold, to -45°F (-42.78°C).

if you live in north america somewhere, you'll be okay with this grease (unless of course you use bacon grease
:biglaugh: )

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Can't use bacon grease, your dog will eat the gun.

Seriously, most folks overlube their guns. Grease is OK if you shoot thousands of rounds quickly, but otherwise a few drops of good gun oil on the slide rails, on the barrel, and down in front of the hammer will do fine. The firing pin is best left clean and dry. An occasional drop of oil in the safety spring tunnel, on the recoil spring guide, and in the mainspring housing will be fine.

I once saw a guy pour a whole 2 oz. can of GI oil over his pistol because he was told it needed lots of oil. It slipped out of his hand and fell in the sand. They don't need that much oil.

Jim

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ah yes, reminds me of the old jody call:

"Don't let your dingle-dangle dangle in the dirt!"
"Pick up your dinlg-dangle, tie it to your shirt!"

:D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I was worried that oil wouldn't be sufficient and that I needed grease. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

As for you Patrick...:confused:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Top_Notch said:
The only thing the manual states is that Stainless pistols require more lubrication...that's it. I'm not sure how to interpret that.
It means stainless is subject to a peculiar (and very nasty) form of wear called galling which is common only to stainless steel. Gun makers minimize it by using dissimilar stainless formulas on the slide and frame, but keeping the high stress points like rails and lugs well lubed is a smart move.

RIG +p makes a stailess lube (grease) specifically for stainless to prevent galling as well as lube the contact surface. lately, I mix Rig +p grease about 60/40 with Militec liquid lube to thin it some and make it slicker. You could also thin it with FP-10 if you prefer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I use only FP-10 clp on the stainless kimber and have yet to have a problem.Its,in my opinion,the best gun oil on the market and all thats needed on any weapon.
I use FP-10 on everything from my black powder muskets to my AR15,and have been more than pleased with the performance of it.
I would highly recommend FP-10,but if you want to use a grease use one that is firearms specific like TW-25B or Tetra etc. like the others have recommended.
Raymond

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think if you use Miltec-1, Breakfree, or FP-10 you will have no problems at all. All are good.

In 69 we used to use Kerosine, Diesel Fuel. and Gasoline. Lubed with what was ever available. Still love the smell of Hoppes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts