1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

I am new to Dan Wesson and 1911's. I have been searching the forums
to see what I can learn. It was because of forum searches and reviews I ordered a DW pointman marksmen. Regarding magazines what I am gathering is that seven round magazines are generally reliable while eight round magazines may or may not be depending on brand and or model. Extended longer magazines may avoid the problems of flush fit eight round magazines. Is this so ? What extended magazines would you recommended for eight and 10 rounds. Feel free to correct any misunderstandings on my part

Thank you
Newbang

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Magazine problems or the potential for them are common among all brands of 1911's not just DWs, quite a bit depends on the ammo being used (mostly the overall length of each round).
That said, in my PM7 (2005 vintage, 45ACP, 230 gr FMJ, 230gr JHP mostly factory loads) I have had no problems with the original DW magazines (old school 7 round GI style, 7 rounds), Wilson ETM (8 rounds, designed that way) and Tripps 8 rounders. I personally like the way the Tripps work the best. Not saying the others are bad, just that I like the Tripps.

I have no experience with any other magazines in my gun, so will not offer an opinion on them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magazine problems or the potential for them are common among all brands of 1911's not just DWs, quite a bit depends on the ammo being used (mostly the overall length of each round).
That said, in my PM7 (2005 vintage, 45ACP, 230 gr FMJ, 230gr JHP mostly factory loads) I have had no problems with the original DW magazines (old school 7 round GI style, 7 rounds), Wilson ETM (8 rounds, designed that way) and Tripps 8 rounders. I personally like the way the Tripps work the best. Not saying the others are bad, just that I like the Tripps.

I have no experience with any other magazines in my gun, so will not offer an opinion on them.
Hi

Yes I am aware of the potential for magazine problems among 1911 of other manufactors. A short reading in some other 1911 forums will clearly highlight that. The Dan wesson forum is by and large more positive than other forums I have seen which is a major reason why I have ordered a Dan Wesson pistol.

I was just wondering if stuffing eight rounds in a magazine length best employed in holding seven why not just go with longer magazines. Perhaps a bumper/lip at the bottom of the magazine can take up the space between the end of gun butt and magazine end. My glock for example has a 3/16 removeable baseplate at the bottom of its magazine

Now I am fairly new to handguns in general so my thoughts may be misinformed but for now I am just asking questions

thank you
Newbang

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
My Danny boy mags have worked 100%. Dan has some purdy mags. :)

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
7 vs 8. In a government sized frame (5 inch barrel or a Commander 4.25 inch barrel) 7 is the original standard. It fits flush. 8 winds up being a compromise, either length or something else. To the best of my knowledge most (all?) 8 rounders in a 7 round tube use a Shooting Star follower. This is kind of like a leaf spring, it is designed to collapse down to allow one more round in the tube. It may be more sensitive to springs and other stuff, affecting reliability (typically last round slide lock). Wilson ETMs are a little different design, the spring actually collapses down inside itself to give the room for the extra round. As for the extended baseplate idea to give room for the extra round, it's a good one, there may be after market stuff that does this, but I haven't tried any.

The biggest issue is really "flush or not". If you are carrying concealed, a flush fitting magazine is a big plus, regardless of how many rounds it contains. Sticking out below the grip may (usually) winds up printing, which could be a bad thing. What a lot of people that carry do is flush magazine (typically a 7 rounder) in the pistol, then a spare or two 8 rounder because if you're reloading you probably don't give a crap about printing.

Regardless of all the above, if you want an 8 rounder I would recommend the Tripps or Wilson ETMs (based on personal experience). Seven rounders, well, just about any quality one should work fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
7 vs 8. In a government sized frame (5 inch barrel or a Commander 4.25 inch barrel) 7 is the original standard. It fits flush. 8 winds up being a compromise, either length or something else. To the best of my knowledge most (all?) 8 rounders in a 7 round tube use a Shooting Star follower. This is kind of like a leaf spring, it is designed to collapse down to allow one more round in the tube. It may be more sensitive to springs and other stuff, affecting reliability (typically last round slide lock). Wilson ETMs are a little different design, the spring actually collapses down inside itself to give the room for the extra round. As for the extended baseplate idea to give room for the extra round, it's a good one, there may be after market stuff that does this, but I haven't tried any.

The biggest issue is really "flush or not". If you are carrying concealed, a flush fitting magazine is a big plus, regardless of how many rounds it contains. Sticking out below the grip may (usually) winds up printing, which could be a bad thing. What a lot of people that carry do is flush magazine (typically a 7 rounder) in the pistol, then a spare or two 8 rounder because if you're reloading you probably don't give a crap about printing.

Regardless of all the above, if you want an 8 rounder I would recommend the Tripps or Wilson ETMs (based on personal experience). Seven rounders, well, just about any quality one should work fine.
Thank you for your reply. A mix of magazines seems like a quite reasonable idea if one is going to carry

Newbang

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hi

The Dan wesson forum is by and large more positive than other forums I have seen which is a major reason why I have ordered a Dan Wesson pistol.
I became interested for the exact same reason at first...

You won't be disappointed by the pistol either!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts