1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are living in MIM land.

I just picked up a new Champion. It sure looks like the rear sight is MIM. It works fine (tritium) but just wondering if anyone can confirm if it is MIM or steel?

I will probably contact Springfield to ask.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is Springfields reply

"The sight is made by Novak. I am not certain what their production procedures are. I do know that they are made of steel, but not sure if they MIM or machine them. You can give them a call to ask exactly how they manufacture them."

http://www.novaksights.com/1911.htm

http://www.novaksights.com/contact_us.htm

With Best Regards,

Terry Bowers

Dealer Assistance and Response Team

Springfield Armory Inc.

420 W. Main St .

Geneseo, IL 61254

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
A rear sight is just about the only part of a 1911 that I would have absolutely no problem with being MIM. I don't see a way to put stress on it, no way to wear on it, and if it failed the gun would still shoot.:)
Joe

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
My Micro-Compact and TRP have the name Novak on their rear sights, but they are several years old. Maybe the current ones don't.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck S said:
Novak sights have their brand name on them. Is it on yours? Ain't on mine. :mad:

-- Chuck
Chuck. They mystery continues. See answer from Novak below. Now go get your thread pitch tool and let me know what I've got. :D

Springfield for a while was licensed to make the sights with the NOVAK logo on the side of the sight and those sights were MIM and had a 5/44 set screw. Our sights we make have always been CNC machined from bar-stock and for the last several years have an 8/32 set screw. The set screw would be the way to tell which sight you have.
Novak's
www.novaksights.com
(304) 428-2676 (phone & fax)
PO Box 4045 Parkersburg, WV 26104
1206 30th St. Parkersburg, WV 26101

So it seems that if the sights have the NOVAK logo, they are MIM????

My sights look like MIM as there is a slight line across the rear that reminds me of injection molding. They do not look like they are machined from bar stock.

I guess if I really am bugged by it, I will send the gun to someone to have all MIM replaced, including the sights...I like 10-8 sight. :barf:

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Thanks!

My Loaded sights look like Novak's but aren't and are unmarked. The sights I obtained direct from Novak (fitted to my Colt) are marked.

Real Novaks:

Real front; fake rear:

Fake (I think the casting line shows faintly):

The fake Novaks appear to be much higher. The fake Novak front sight is serrated, angled, and the white outline barely visible (but can be touched up).

-- Chuck

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Army_oed,
Truly an interesting thread. I never even knew Springfield was casting their own Novak-licensed sights. I just took it for granted that these were original Novaks.

At any rate, I truly see no problem with it being MIM. I've never heard of these sights cracking or failing under hard use.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My SS Champ is a couple years old now, but the rear sight is clearly marked Novak. I bought it NIB from the dealer who special ordered it for me, so that's how it came from SA. Perhaps they started out using the real thing?

later,
AJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts