1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am interested in getting a 1911. I don't have any particular brand affinity.

In another post, I saw this:
AZ Husker said:
Buy a brand-new, already assembled Springfield WW2 Milspec for under $400.
That sounds like a good deal. I don't want to spend a lot. I want a rugged shooter, nothing fancy.

Should I be looking for this at a gun show or at a gun dealer?

I'm open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help,
-- Mike

·
Registered
956 Posts
The SA Milspec is quite the deal at about the $400 price point. Around here firearms seem to be more expensive at gunshows than at dealer's shops.

I have an SA V-16 Longslide and it is absolutely a joy to shoot. I also have Kimbers, did have a Colt, and I just can't beat the price of my SA and performace of my SA.

Everyone I've talked to, loves their SA Mil-spec and has ran flawlessly out of the box. It comes in Stainless or Parkerized. I tend to like the Parkerized look myself. I'd also get the 3 Dot Sight model over the standard GI. Your eyes maybe better than mine, however.

·
Registered
614 Posts
For under $300, I would start with a Argentine Sistema 1927. These are quality Colt DNA 1911s. Great pistols.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
This topic from the Springfield section breaks down the differences between the Springfeld Mil-Spec and the WWII model. Either one would make a good shooter.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quick update. I checked a couple gun shops and the only one who said they could get one (a milspec 1911 Springfield) wanted $413. I found some places online to get one cheaper, but that would involve shipping, plus a transfer fee, plus mailing a MO and praying. So, I paid $413 and should pick up the 1911 tomorrow.

Thanks for the help and I can't wait to take it to the range!

·
Registered
870 Posts
My first 1911 was a Springfield and I currently own 6. As the budget and your desires allow, I'm sure you will have ample opportunity to try the many other manufacturers that make 1911's. There are quality guns made by many. Congratulations!!! Oh, one thing, I wish I had kept better track of the number of rounds I've put through my first 1911. It is still going strong, but it would be a WAG if I put a number to it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts