1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a holster for my 1911 on the Internet a little, but I am new to pistols and not sure what to look for.

A friend has recommended the Galco Combat Master.

I also saw the Desantis Thumb Break holster - are they any good? They seem to be a little cheaper, but I'm guessing that I'd get what I paid for.

As far as what I'm looking for:

- Concealment is not a priority, comfortable open carry is

- Good quality

- Leather

- Belt slide

- In the neighborhood of $50, if possible. I know quality costs money, but I am looking for value.

I'm not sure whether or not I need/want a thumb break. It seems like a good idea for open carry.

I'm also going to eventually want a holster compatible with a USGI pistol belt/LBE, but not drop leg.

As far as belts go, I assume I will need one in the future and plan to buy one. Since this is not going to be a self-defense pistol, but primarily a plinking gun, I am putting off buying one.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm happy with my High Noon for my 5" 1911. It was about $55 local. If i could go back though, i'd get a High Noon with slide guard. I found myself switching to smooth grips because the checkering would rub my skin, and im too stubborn to wear an extra undershirt.

I wish I could go back to my CCW infancy, when I thought the $15 Don Hume IWB clip on was comfortable... it was so much cheaper!

·
Registered
421 Posts
more expensive, but still

affordable.

http://brommelandgunleather.com.

check out some of the reviews. if you want comfort, and real world concealment,
Brommeland is the way to go.

I am 5'11", 235lbs, and carry a 5" kimber in Gary's Max Con V, w matching belt. 6p/mag carrier on the way.
Gary is an absolute professional in every sense. i say that not based on just my opinion, but there seems to be a sudden influx of Brommeland toters lately.

Send Gary an email, you'll save yourself alot of $50 holsters that dont quite get it.

dan
(slydel0kt)

sorry, SWolfe,
i didnt read your post thouroughly. when carry and concealment become a primary issue, look gary up. Gary does have one or two owb rigs that ought to suit your needs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to say that I do not want an inside-the-pants (not sure if that is the technical term) holster.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
SWolfe, why not an inside the waistband (IWB) holster? Did you have a bad experience with one? Most people that carry a 1911A1 will tell you it is easier with an IWB. Why? the damned barrel doesn't stick below your shirt/jacket. My guess is I would opt for an Alessi CQC or DOJ with your criteria in mind. Regards, Richard:D

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Can't argue with Brommeland qualityand for what you get the price is well worth it but you did mention around 50 bucks and concealment is not key so you might want to try the dillon master...or search the boards for a used outside the waistband since upgrading to custom makers is a never ending cycle for everyone involved....

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Check out the websites for custom makers such as Sparks, Alessi, Brommerland, Tucker to name a few. Get an idea as much as possible from looking at their sites what you want. Then, if you don't want to spend the money for a new one, haunt the for sale forum for a bargain. However, a good custom holster (even a new one) isn't much more than a Galco, but worth a lot more IMO....Sam

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Richard said:
SWolfe, why not an inside the waistband (IWB) holster? Did you have a bad experience with one? Most people that carry a 1911A1 will tell you it is easier with an IWB. Why? the damned barrel doesn't stick below your shirt/jacket. My guess is I would opt for an Alessi CQC or DOJ with your criteria in mind. Regards, Richard:D
Because:

- I'm only 5'9"/160lbs

- It's a full-size 1911

- I carry a knife IWB strongside

- It's not intended for concealment

I'll go take a look at the CQC and DOJ.

Edit: I repeated myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts