1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to reassemble my first 1911 after field stripping it to make sure it was lubricated sufficiently (to go shoot it!). I'm stuck trying to get the slide stop back in. I can get it through the barrel link, and even partially in (about 1/2 to 3/4 the way in) but then nothing. It won't budge and I don't want to force it. FWIW, it's a S/A 1911a1 Loaded in stainless. The assembly manual says it's just the opposite of dis-assembly. I knew I was in trouble when it sort of 'popped' out of it's home on disassembly.

What's the trick to getting this sucker back in without buggering up my gun?

·
Registered
156 Posts
re: reassembly

You will notice on the slide there are two notches, the first one (closest to the barrel bushing is the slide stop catch) and the second one is where you push the slide stop into. You will need a pen cap, paper clip or small flat screw-driver to push the slide stop plunger back into the plunger tube. Your slide stop should pop back in. Hope that helps

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am able to put the slide stop in and swing it up and engage the plunger back. The slide stop will then go down further about 3/4 the way, but then stop. I can't figure out why. I've tried wiggling the slide back and forth and exerting pressure on the slide stop, but no go. How hard to you have to push to get that sucker in? I have the small notch lined up with the slide stop (like when I disassembled it) but it won't go that last fraction. Frustrating.

·
Registered
156 Posts
u sure...

Are you sure that the plunger is not caught on the slide stop? The plunger should ride on the flat part of the stop, sometimes it get's caught in the middle? Did you try a small screwdriver to push the plunger back?

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Hi Top_Notch;
Sounds like the slide stop is bearing against the plunger (which protrudes under spring pressure from the plunger tube), and preventing the slide stop from seating fully.
There's a bit of a trick to getting through the next step, and it helps to exert a slight upward pressure (toward the top of the gun, i.e.) as well as an inward pressure (that is, toward the slide itself). You might find it helpful to press the plunger pin in, using a small screwdriver tip or a small tipped punch. Kinda seems to require three hands at first, but you'll get the hang of it!

Of course, Brownells actually sells a cute little tool for this, the 1911 auto safety detent depressor:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...=8841&title=1911+AUTO+SAFETY+DETENT+DEPRESSOR

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally! I managed to seat it easily without the slide on. Then with the slide on, it again went in 3/4 way. Then, I moved the slide and click..in it went. I don't know what I did differently than the previous 20 times, but it's in...no scratches either.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My trick is, when putting the stop in, start it and keep the stop under the plunger. Get it in as far as it will go and then push it up (toward the slide) and in at the same time. This sort of uses the slide stop to push the plunger in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts