1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first powder I started reloading with was Alliant Red Dot. I have been given a 4lb container of 'Hercules' Red Dot. Obviously this is of old manufacture, but is it the same? Will I need to retune my loads or is the load data basically the same?

TIA
Jeff

·
Registered
972 Posts
Before switching over to 231 as my primary 45 ACP powder I had loaded and fired something like 25 pounds of Red Dot (Hercules). From all I am hearing there is some difference in the new, cleaner Red Dot. Reports seem to indicate it gives higher velocities for the same charge. Since Red Dot is a fast burning powder, that probably means you can get to maximum pressure rather quickly.

If you have a load developed with the newer Red Dot, I would think the same charge would be safe in the older powder. You might check with Alliant and see what they say.

·
Registered
34 Posts
JeffC said:
My first powder I started reloading with was Alliant Red Dot. I have been given a 4lb container of 'Hercules' Red Dot. Obviously this is of old manufacture, but is it the same? Will I need to retune my loads or is the load data basically the same?

TIA
Jeff
If believe it's good to reduce the powder charge anytime starting a new jug/can of powder, even if it is supposed to be the same. Especially if you are using maximum or near maximum charges. This is a time when a chronograph is a very nice tool to have. I've used one for about ten years and wouldn't reload without. They are very affordable now and I think every serious reloader should have one.

Keoni

·
Registered
898 Posts
New Red Dot..

I contacted Alliant Powder Co. with the very same question as I noticed that Alliant Red Dot was perforated flakes and the Hercules Red Dot wasn't,their rep.(Ben Armontee) emailed me back that for Target Loads it was the same.I guess he noted "Target Loads" because I didn't give him any specific loads in my inquiry.It would be wise if loading anything hotter than Target Loads to start about 10/15 % lower and work up.

Stumpy

Forgot to add,what brought up my inquiry to Alliant was that I had emptied a powder measure 1/2 full of Alliant into a partial cannister of Hercules Red Dot and I informed him of that in my inquiry,maybe thats why he replied "Target Loads",so I marked that cannister as "For Target Loads Only" just to be safe as I use Red Dot in large quanitys in various shotguns and pistol loads.

Stumpy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts