1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did somebody say McDonalds?

It is more powerful than it may seem to individuals to boycott.
Spend your money somewhere else. In effect, the merchant is saying "I don't want your money". His ideal is usually short lived. I've seen it in the car business, industrial supply and I've seen a southern, racist proprietor realize that Jim Crowe policies were 'not good for business'.
Personally, I avoid Hooters. I struggle with lust too much as it is.
I believe that this Nation is on its way back to being a 'gun society' and that there will be stiff resistance along the path. Since there is more law enforcement than there was in the days of the 'Wild West' and with the efforts of 'community policing', where the police learn that 'good guys can be an asset AND still carry guns', it will a great society.
Garry

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Re: Did somebody say McDonalds?

geeman said:
It is more powerful than it may seem to individuals to boycott.
Spend your money somewhere else. In effect, the merchant is saying "I don't want your money". His ideal is usually short lived. I've seen it in the car business, industrial supply and I've seen a southern, racist proprietor realize that Jim Crowe policies were 'not good for business'.
Personally, I avoid Hooters. I struggle with lust too much as it is.
I believe that this Nation is on its way back to being a 'gun society' and that there will be stiff resistance along the path. Since there is more law enforcement than there was in the days of the 'Wild West' and with the efforts of 'community policing', where the police learn that 'good guys can be an asset AND still carry guns', it will a great society.
Garry
And you must tell them that since a law abiding citizen with a CCW is not allowed, then they must welcome criminals; as they will not obey any sign. Further since your gun is not welcome nither is you or your money. Be sure to let the managers and owners know you will gladley spread the word and any relsuting loss of business is too bad.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Attempts of this sort to control and prohibit legal and discreet CCW are "toothless", merely a PC gesture.

I've never eaten at a Hooters (and a "boycott" will only have a limited effect, since the population percentage of CCW holders is small), but do you think I'd remove my sidearm before entering one? No more would I do so there than anywhere else. It's nobody's damn business.

A letter-writing campaign might have more effect than a boycott, but probably not a lot.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Private businesses probably do have the right to establish company policy and to post rules that prohibit carrying weapons while in the establishment and that's fine with me. Depending on the business I probably would not spend my money there anyway.

However, if there are no city, county, or state ordinances that expressly prohibit concealed carry while in a private business, I would not pay any attention to a sign at the front door. If your weapon is "concealed" properly i.e. not printing, how will they know? Is a waitress going to frisk somebody at the door? Are we going to hear the Wal Mart greeter saying "Welcome to Wal-Mart, check your guns outside."?

Washington state laws prohibit concealed carry in specific places such as state -owned buildings and offices, jails, courtrooms, public schools and grounds, and even those portions of taverns and bars where persons under 21 are not allowed. City and or county ordinances may restrict carry in stadiums, convention centers and such, but places like these are either owned by the city or state or under some form of regulatory control.

It's unfortunate that some businesses don't understand that citizens that lawfully carry a weapon do not pose a direct risk to the business itself.

·
Registered
983 Posts
A no-carry sign still serves a purpose.

Few people carry? That's largely because it's a pain.

Say you have to go to 5 different locations in a day. If only one of them bans carry, it may weigh into your decision to carry at all.

They don't have to ban carry everywhere - but being banned from carrying in enough places may discourage people from doing so.

I know very few "gun nuts", including those with CHLs, who actually carry guns on a day to day basis.

Battler.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Gun nut

I do not consider myself a gun nut, rather a gun person. Have been for over 30 yrs. I have always been self emolyed and have always carried, even before the standards of today's non-discretionary CHL. I carry everyday from when I leave the house until I return home.

I do respect the wishes of businesses who prohibit CHL holders from entering their establishments while armed, just as I would respect the authority of an individual by not entering their home against their wishes with a concealed weapon.

When the business has a legal sign posted, I turn around and shop elsewhere, after all this is America and there is plenty of business competition. As far as the individual is concern, I just didn't want to visit with them that badly anyway.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Gun Nut Jr.

I carry even after I get home. I just don't sleep with it on.
In response to a couple of other posts, I'd like to add that if someone is so anti-gun as to not allow me in their business establishment, then like ashop1al, I turn around and go somewhere else. There may be an anti-gun merchant out there that will one day be ever so thankful that I carried into his establishment. Two other people in this world already are glad I'm
packing.
;)
Garry

·
Registered
445 Posts
Battler said:
I know very few "gun nuts", including those with CHLs, who actually carry guns on a day to day basis.
Many of my friends, myself included carry whenever and wherever they go to. Where I live concealed carry is very common and includes folks from all walks of life male and female and young and old. Permits are granted to all law abiding citizens, who wish to carry.

In the State just west of me, it is even more common. You can actually carry concealed or open with no permit required and like my State violent crime is a fraction of what it is in the "enlightned" State just south of us, where very few folks are "allowed" to carry concealed legally.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a dream...

PAOLO721 said:
Many of my friends, myself included carry whenever and wherever they go to. Where I live concealed carry is very common and includes folks from all walks of life male and female and young and old. Permits are granted to all law abiding citizens, who wish to carry.

That one day my four little children
will be able to pack automatics of their choice and not be judged by the the inhibitions of liberals but by the content of their character.
Garry

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Why need to post information ("Another restaurant bans CCW") as if it were somehow new? The original post by jsalcedo was more than 1 month preceding XavierBreath's post to let us know that the establishment unnamed in his post was not going to allow CCW.

So, not only was the information not new, he didn't even bother to let us know what place it was? Sorry, out of date and lacking information...why are you posting it now?

It is friggin' Hooters for crying out loud!! Who cares? It isn't as if there aren't a million other places that sell wings along with beer.

Besides, depending on which Hooters you are in, at least here in Texas, the point may be moot. If they have posted their 51% sign, CHL'd CCW by patrons is not legally possible. The one store in question did not have the sign posted, but I have been in thsoe that do get 51% or more sales from alcohol and regardless of letters and boycotts, it is a state law, not a company policy.

·
Registered
312 Posts
When I hear about these signs I always think of Luby's Cafeteria in Kileen TX. That was where the woman who left her pistol in her glovebox watched that nut EXECUTE her parents.
I carry wherever I go. It is a concealed carry permit, so no one should ever know that you have a weapon unless you are saving lives.
The exception of course are areas specifically excluded by the CCW law.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts