1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long time viewer/reader/learner, new poster here. I have been a shooter for many years, but have almost no experience with the 1911 platform. I started reading about them about a year ago, and quickly fell in love with their history, significance in our country, design, trigger, how they feel in your grip... nearly everything. I decided I was NOT going to buy a mass produced average 1911 just to end up selling it to buy something better, I was going to do it right, right out of the gate. I wanted something custom/semi-custom. After reading countless pieces of info in as many places as I could find, I finally settled on Wilson over the other custom makers.

Anyway, just placed my order today for the following!!

Wilson CQB in .45 ACP
All black armor tough finish
One piece flared mag well
front cocking serrations removed
flush reverse crowned barrel
counter sunk slide stop
tritium night sites

Now I just have this HORRENDOUS wait in front of me.. how will I ever make it!! :dope:

·
Registered
466 Posts
This is what Army Chief told me a few weeks ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army Chief View Post
Spend more time with the guns that you already own. Break them down. Study what is going on inside of them in detail. Shoot them more often. Clean them more carefully. Figure out what you did right and wrong when you ordered them the way that you did. Sort out what features you really like and which ones don't really seem to make as much of a difference as you thought that they might.

In other words, spend some time dancing with the girl that you brought with you, rather than constantly watching to see who might be hovering over by the punch bowl. If you can't learn to find any immediate satisfaction with the Wilson gun that you "couldn't possibly live without" last year, how is the arrival of the next one really gong to change the equation any?

The questions are rhetorical, of course, but this business about waiting being difficult comes up fairly often around here, and I think guys forget that it really has a lot less to do with the guns than it has to do with human nature itself. I'm pleased that so many of you have other orders in the queue to look forward to, but I'll bet you're also overlooking some cool opportunities to spend some quality time enjoying one or two fine pistols that you've already got sitting not so very far away from where you're sitting right now.

Perspective.

AC

·
Registered
466 Posts
Congrats on a great choice. Waiting is tough but if everyone here is telling the truth it should be worth it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on a great choice. Waiting is tough but if everyone here is telling the truth it should be worth it!
I have no doubt what-so-ever... and I agree in full with your first reply, but I spend plenty of time with the guns I already own. I custom build all my own ARs from the ground up, so I am extremely comfortable with them and I never stop tinkering, making changes, and reconfiguring them, and the rest of my firearms are either sigs which I have been shooting for 15 years, or my walther every day carry. I'm ready to add the 1911 platform! :rock:

·
Registered
466 Posts
1911's weren't my first love either, but they are my true love. You made an excellent first choice and you have time to change your mind and tweak your order if the notion strikes.

After hanging out here I opted for a solid plug and a fluted chamber torx screws and an extra pair of different grips. The pics on these forums will nearly kill you.

Something like this might help your wait as well :) http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=440439

·
Registered
804 Posts
That sounds as if it will be a fine looking, high performance shooter. Good work!

·
Super Moderator
14,959 Posts
You are starting out with top-tier quality build for a 1911, and you are keeping the specs simple and functional, good job of selecting what will no doubt be a really great shooting 1911 pistol. The wait isn't so bad if you get busy with other things. You're really going to love the 1911 platform if you're starting with a Wilson.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks, fellas... I can't wait. My goal with the 1911 was to add a tiny bit of aesthetic appeal with the crowned barrel and counter sunk slide stop... add a tiny bit of better functionality with the flaired mag well and night sights, without detracting from the overall look / feel / style of the classic design, which is why I didn't go with the elite (top serrations) and why I chose the front serration delete.

And I had to go with the all black, because that's bad-ass :D

Oh yeah, and I have to add that the folks I spoke to at Wilson were great. The guy that took my order either knew all my the answers to my question right off the bat, or he had no problem looking up what we needed to know quickly. They were quick, friendly, helpful, and I got everything I needed to be sure I was making the correct decision with my purchase. Feels great working with a company that feels so competent.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I know the wait is what it is. I know the pistol is well worth the money. I know all the pluses.
The minus is the wait. Just because it may be worth the wait after you have received your pistol, that doesn't mean you have to like it. It didn't pass in no time for me. I had two long waits. I wound up buying a CQBC off the shelf. That and a EB SFC got me through the wait times.
I'm sure the company likes them, they know they have at least a year or so worth of sales in the queue. Personally I hate them.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
That's an excellent built. Just enough personalization without pushing it over the top.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I know the wait is what it is. I know the pistol is well worth the money. I know all the pluses.
The minus is the wait. Just because it may be worth the wait after you have received your pistol, that doesn't mean you have to like it. It didn't pass in no time for me. I had two long waits. I wound up buying a CQBC off the shelf. That and a EB SFC got me through the wait times.
I'm sure the company likes them, they know they have at least a year or so worth of sales in the queue. Personally I hate them.
I agree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts