1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Cleaning his gun." Yeah, right. Either he doesn't want to admit to sitting around finger-f*****g his pet gun or he truly was too stupid or lazy to properly unload a firearm before starting to clean it. Thanks to his idiocy a young mother is dead.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Just because one can have a gun, it doesn't necessarily follow that one should. There are way too many idiots out there. Simply tragic.

·
Premium Member
16,301 Posts
'Cleaning my gun...' is always a lie - think about it - what's the first thing you do? You field-strip it. If there was a round in the chamber, it would come out. If it was a revolver, you remove the cylinder - same thing. When people use that as an excuse, it always means they were playing with a gun they knew to be loaded and they managed to fire it. Or, they are covering for somebody else who did the firing.

·
Administrator
75,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'Cleaning my gun...' is always a lie - think about it - what's the first thing you do? You field-strip it. If there was a round in the chamber, it would come out. If it was a revolver, you remove the cylinder - same thing. When people use that as an excuse, it always means they were playing with a gun they knew to be loaded and they managed to fire it. Or, they are covering for somebody else who did the firing.
That's what I always think. You can't clean a gun with a round in the tube, otherwise how do you get a cleaning rod down the barrel in the first place? I used to have a co-worker years ago who showed me pictures and video of his guns, and he had pistols, rifles, loaded magazines and loose ammo spread all over his bed. A negligent discharge just waiting to happen. I would be willing to bet good money that most of the time these "cleaning accidents" are the result of somebody playing Johnny Badass in front of the mirror or on the couch while watching an action movie.

·
Premium Member
6,333 Posts
This won't be the 1st time I've written this here. Early in my firearm teaching apprenticeship, volunteering at the local rifle club, a student had an after-class question:

student - Can you accidentally fire a handgun while cleaning it?

me - Not really. The first thing before starting to clean is remove the magazine and clear the chamber. That's before cleaning. You wouldn't re-load until after cleaning. During cleaning it's mostly gun-parts not a gun.

student - That's what I was afraid you'd say.

me - Afraid? Why?!?

student - My uncle shot and killed my aunt. He said it was an accident while cleaning his gun.

me - uhhhh ...

student - yeah, I get it: a bullet is cheaper than a divorce.

me -

·
Registered
110 Posts
That still comes AFTER removing the magazine and locking the slide to the rear to verify the firearm is empty.
Not arguing it’s a stupid move but assuming he had a loaded mag and an empty chamber, he could easily strip a round when he closed the breach and released the striker. Point is, having to pull the trigger to take down a gun is not a wise design. Again, still doesn’t excuse the carelessness.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
While cleaning a firearm I make sure it's empty, if I walk away, check it again. There is a reason for this.
I sold drinks on my route 21 years, 90% of my customers were mom and pops stores, out in the county.
This time period was you could only get about 300 cases of drinks on truck. Because they were 90% glass bottles.
Back to the point, one customer also sold beer, and had been robbed three times while I worked his small store, five miles from any time.
Saw him cleaning his .357 mag one time, he to me was very careful about it wouldn't let me near the pistol.
Two weeks later he was found shot to death. They said he was cleaning the pistol again and it went off!
I found this hard to understand, I thought someone else shot him!

·
Premium Member
5,579 Posts
We should all realize, when we are covering this subject, it IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOOT YOUR SELF WHILE CLEANING A WEAPON, if you are doing it correctly. For these events to happen one of the fundamental safety steps is not followed. Carelessness, inattention, being interrupted, or alterative intentions are the most common reasons. Sometimes as they say, familiarity breeds contempt.

My $0.02
Grumpy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Most of the "Cleaning Discharges" occur before the cleaning process starts. They either "think" it is clear and don't bother to clear, or they fail to clear properly (ie visually, since a round could be stuck in the barrel even after a rack). Then they pull the trigger to confirm, and OOOOOOPS.

Any way you cut it, it is pure carelessness!

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Idiot punk was careless and his negligence killed his neighbor.

There is no excuse.

Then again.....there is no excuse for drunk drivers who kill or maim others.

People tend to be stupid at times.....and innocent people pay the price for their idiocy. Case in point: The White House at present time. Innocent people are dying every single day as a result of the negligence at Southern border. Slavery, human trafficking, rape, murder, drug trafficking........every bit of it is blood on the hands of Biden, Harris & Co.

Article was removed, but appears to have reappeared. Wonder if there is more to the story than first appeared?

Google it.......it's all over multiple websites.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
When you are a 36 year old female, have 8 credits (3 were shorts) and your last four roles are
Waitress, Co-Worker 1, Demetgia, and Party Girl 1. I would say you have not made it!!!

Well.....one thing is for certain....she'll never have a chance at a career change or any other choice.

Her son lost his mother.

Once can only wonder the impact this may have in his trajectory.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not arguing it’s a stupid move but assuming he had a loaded mag and an empty chamber, he could easily strip a round when he closed the breach and released the striker. Point is, having to pull the trigger to take down a gun is not a wise design. Again, still doesn’t excuse the carelessness.
I believe this is what happens. A lot. They leave the magazine in, check the chamber, drop the slide, release the magazine. Boom. ***?

If that is the case, it would be a “cleaning incident” as discussed: A failure of one of the first steps, in the process.

·
Registered
119 Posts
They leave the magazine in, check the chamber, drop the slide, release the magazine. Boom. ***?
Stupid is as stupid does.

I can't believe that on the reality show "Tiger King" a participant decided to prove to someone else that you could not fire a gun without a magazine in it by putting it to his head and pulling the trigger!!! Needless to say, he was not in any future episodes.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts