1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
It seems that when someone has SUPRISE discharge they are almost always cleaning their guns. I propose dirty guns for America or a cure for stupid. Cleaning a gun you always check it. When cleaning multiple guns you always check them all before you start on one, then check the one you pick up to work on. If you are positive it is not loaded you check again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Stupid is as stupid does.

I can't believe that on the reality show "Tiger King" a participant decided to prove to someone else that you could not fire a gun without a magazine in it by putting it to his head and pulling the trigger!!! Needless to say, he was not in any future episodes.
THAT was in the deep end of the stupid swimming pool.

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
It seems that when someone has SUPRISE discharge they are almost always cleaning their guns. I propose dirty guns for America or a cure for stupid. Cleaning a gun you always check it. When cleaning multiple guns you always check them all before you start on one, then check the one you pick up to work on. If you are positive it is not loaded you check again.
How about disposable guns that ya don't have to clean? Just throw it away. 🤣

·
Registered
320 Posts
Most of the "Cleaning Discharges" occur before the cleaning process starts. They either "think" it is clear and don't bother to clear, or they fail to clear properly (ie visually, since a round could be stuck in the barrel even after a rack). Then they pull the trigger to confirm, and OOOOOOPS.

Any way you cut it, it is pure carelessness!
I know we’re arguing details that really don’t matter, but to me, the cleaning process starts when I’ve decided to clean it and possess it.

Careless and reckless.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For some people, cleaning a gun amounts to wiping dust and smudges off of the exterior. Easy to ND when doing that to a loaded weapon.

Actually cleaning like we understand isn’t what’s happening.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't laugh, I have a neighbor that shoots a pistol until it is so dirty it just quits on him,... he'll spray them inside and out with oil to get them going again, but, when they quit on him for good, my other neighbor trades him out of it,... takes it home, cleans it, and, has a nice pistol to add to his collection.

I have asked him why,... he says he just doesn't like cleaning pistols. I think only having one eye/no depth of field may have something to do with dissembling and putting them back together, but I don't know.

To each their own, I say!

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
Isn't that what the 'polymer' guns, in general, are for? 😁 🤣 😁 🤣 😁 🤣 😁 🤣
When introduced , the AR-15 was said to never need cleaning. The first M-16s issued during Vietnam didn't even have cleaning kits.

·
Administrator
75,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hey, maybe that's something for the anti-gunners to push. Ban gun cleaning kits. Think of the number of lives it'll save! :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: Crab Boy

·
Registered
224 Posts
When learning to clean a semi-auto:

1. Remove magazine

2. Rack slide SEVERAL TIMES (Note: if you continue to see ammunition ejected after 1st rack, GO BACK TO STEP 1 , in law enforcement this is known as a clue!)

3. Lock slide to rear and visually, and physically insure chamber is empty.

4. Follow manufacturers instructions for disassembly of firearm.

If everyone would adopt this, I WOULD NEVER AGAIN HAVE TO READ, "He/She was cleaning their gun when it went off!"

Frankly, as many above have said, that is an idiot excuse for,"I pulled the trigger and it went bang, duh!"

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
701 Posts
How about just simple basic safety rules,... while cleaning, or, not, they apply!

1) treat all guns as if they are loaded
2) do not point muzzle at anything you do not wish to destroy
3) keep your dam booger hook off the trigger unless pointing muzzle down range at your target

Those 3 alone, will prevent all,... "killings while cleaning"!

Don't mind me, just preach'n to the choir guys&gal!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't laugh, I have a neighbor that shoots a pistol until it is so dirty it just quits on him,... he'll spray them inside and out with oil to get them going again, but, when they quit on him for good, my other neighbor trades him out of it,... takes it home, cleans it, and, has a nice pistol to add to his collection.

I have asked him why,... he says he just doesn't like cleaning pistols. I think only having one eye/no depth of field may have something to do with dissembling and putting them back together, but I don't know.

To each their own, I say!
No, he has too much discretionary money available.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Simply doesn't matter what he says he was doing when he had a NEGLIGENT discharge: I was cleaning the gun; it fell out of the holster; it just fired when I picked it up; I thought it was unloaded; I was unloading it; etc.; etc.; etc.... There are absolutely no excuses.

There are no accidental discharges. There is only negligent handling leading to negligent discharges. There may be any number of reasons or chains of events that led to that end, but in all cases, the gun handler has acted negligently through choice. Not following safe handling practices is a deliberate choice, a choice to ignore those practices or a choice to not learn them in the first place, but a choice nevertheless.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Firearm handling and use is very serious business. Many people do not take it as seriously as the should. I thought my granddaughter first with BB guns in the back yard and now at 16 she is one of the safest on the range. We have even drilled in hot brass procedures. I clean my guns in the garage. There is no ammo allowed out there when cleaning. Guns are unloaded in the gun room and double checked before taken to the garage. Then double checked again. This is very serious business and certainly not for all. I know I am preaching to the chior

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Carlether Foley, a 36-year old actress whose credits include the television show Big Joe and the Fam, died after being found unresponsive by her 17-year-old son Keyandre Benjamin in the bedroom of her apartment in Duluth, Georgia on September 25.
That's ODD... mom & son, yet they have DIFFERENT last names. Hmmm... 🤔

21 - 40 of 59 Posts