1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody loading 200 gr. plated SWC with Titegroup? I am looking for how many grains of powder and OAL? My 'smith told me to seat to just above the shoulder on the bullet, but when I did, the O.A.L. was 1.193 which seems awfully short? He'd also said 1.265 was a good length for my magazines, so which is it???? I'm confused? Also, would either of these lengths cause an unsafe condition with a reasonable (i.e. not max) powder charge?

Thanks for your help,
Charles

·
Registered
697 Posts
Well, I don't load a plated bullet, but Laser-cast shows an OAL of 1.250" for their 200 gr. LSWC. It appears that you are reloading without a reference manual, relying on word-of-mouth loads. I STRONGLY suggest you purchase a loading manual that has data for the type of bullets you are loading for. Any good gun shop should have a selection for you to choose from.

And, yes, seating a bullet too deeply can cause unsafe pressures if you are loading near-maximum loads. Do yourself a favor and get a manual.

·
Registered
259 Posts
A big amen to CarKnocker's comments. Reloading without at least one manual is like going on a strange trip without a map. You need at least one reference point. There is a lot of information on the internet regarding good, accutate loads. However I use a recommended load off the internet ONLY after I have found it in one of my manuals and find that it is within published limits. You really never know who is giving out the data. I heal very slowly these days and pain is not high on my list of things to enjoy.
Back to your original question - I seat my 45 loads to a published length, not to a point on the bullet. If I have a "non -published" bullet I measure the length of the bullet and adjust OAL as necessary. The objective being to maintain the same depth of the bullet, not the OAL. The distance between the primer and the end of the bullet effect feeding, the distance between the primer and the bottom of the bullet effect pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I am using a manual (Lyman's 47th) as well as the Hogdon book, but I was looking for a general idea of what others maybe doing with a similar setup. After more checking, I am going to start with around 4.2 gr. of Titegroup and seat about 1.195 with the SWCs.

·
Registered
287 Posts
leaderc,
Hate to bust your bubble, but 1.195" is going to be too short with a 200gr SWC. Try something between 1.250-1.260". We are talking .45ACP, right? Ditto on the above the posts. Lyman's 47th is a good manual. Buy a couple more and you will be set.

·
Registered
21,730 Posts
You are right, Carnocker, gunny, word of mouth is not the way to get load data. Neither is assuming that all .45 semiwadcutters are knockoffs of the H&G #68 which loads to 1.25" OAL. They do come shorter.

I don't think it reasonable to expect published load data for every dinky brand of bullet, you are going to have to do some thinking.

Charles, I am concerned that you say you are seating to "just above the shoulder on the bullet." That would mean to me that the shoulder was recessed into the case. Which I saw done in a magazine article once. Ugh. What I hope you mean is that you are seating just BEHIND the shoulder of the bullet, with .020-.030" of shoulder ahead of the case mouth. If so, and that gives a 1.193" OAL, then you have a 200 grain SWC with the shape of the factory match 185 grain SWC. Data are not interchangeable, because of the difference in weight and seating depth.

Houston is right, seating depth is important to pressure development, OAL to feeding. You would probably do well to look at load data for a 200 grain JHP. Most of those load up shorter than a #68 style SWC, in spite of the hollowpoint full of air taking up length. The Hodgdon maximum for a 200 grain JHP is 5.2 grains of Titegroup. A load of 4.2 grains would be a reasonable start on a target load. Do you have access to a chronograph? A fast load is probably a hot load.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Wilson combat swears an OAL of 1.255 is perfect for 200gr HG# 68 200gr SWC. Anywhere between 1.250-1.260 should get it done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help y'all, I loaded a few last night at 1.245 OAL and 4.5 gr. Titegroup, seemed like a good safe medium to try a few rounds on the Dillon.
Charles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts