1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i posted before - stock kimber mag in my pro cdp had 1 or 2 FDF every mag unless i pushed the mag deeper in the well. shooting star wouldnt feed 1 round. colt feed ok, but i had to push the mag out from the breach, wouldnt drop via the mag release, tried a wilson 8 round combat mag today - only 1 FTF in 158 rounds, and that was the 8th round in the mag. i'm sold - kinda pisses me off though, i spend 1200.00 on a gun, you would think they'ed give you a decent mag. considering the most important thing in a defense weapon is that it go bang every time i pull the trigger

BTW - loaded every mag to the full 8 and had no problems, except for 1

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just think...if you had bought a standard #47 7 rounder and not been greedy wanting that 8th round, you most likely would have had zero failures to feed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Sundance:
Just think...if you had bought a standard #47 7 rounder and not been greedy wanting that 8th round, you most likely would have had zero failures to feed.
i tried, but the only store that even stocks a wilson was out of the 7's, so i opted for the 8, cause i had so many FTF's with my brand new gun, i was freaked. i wanted to break it in, AND, go through as many variables as i could before bitchin' out the factory. got some 7's on order. besides, like a previous posts states, if #8, i would've been out anyway.

G

·
I’m puzzled by all the talk of problems with Wilson 8 round mages. First let me say I don’t own and haven’t tried and government size 8 rounders. I have two 8 round mags for my Royal Carry, Officers size. I also have two 7 round for the Royal. I have four 10 round government size mages that use in my Custom for compaction. They all perform flawlessly. What seems to be the problem with the 8 round Government length Wilsons?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by Jerry:
What seems to be the problem with the 8 round Government length Wilsons?
Well, for me and a few others, I have experienced the 7th round failure to extract / 8th round failure to feed. This is a repeatable and consistent failure in my Kimber Custom Stainless LE.

The Kimber / McCormick 7 round is flawless. I had 4 Wilson #47DC 8-round mags. One of them fed flawlessly. The other three had the same repeatable failure. I sent them back to Wilsons and of the 3 new ones, now 2 work correctly and one has the same failure.

This is definately a mag issue.

By the way, I have the Wilson's Officers 7 round mags and I have had nothing but flawless performance from them when my crappy Colt Officer's 7 rounders couldn't feed soup to a starving kid.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I am speaking specifically about full size 1911s...not compacts...

1) In any given gun 8 rounders will either work or they won't. Some guns just don't like the 8 rounders. Virtually every gun loves the 7 rounders.

2) John Browning said it should hold 7 and that is good enough to me. Who am I to question the master?

3) Clint Smith says to use 7 rounders and he has oh roughly a million more rounds experience through 1911s than me.

4) 8 rounders are ok for competition but 7 rounders do better when loaded for long periods of time as self/home defense and carry mandates.

5) I called Wilson and they recommended 7 rounders for my Kimber saying that Wilson 1911s are specially tweaked to function with 8 rounders and they would not guarantee them to work in my Kimber. They guaranteed the sevens. They said the eights might not lock the slide open on the last round consistently.

6) I have learned that 7 + 1 in .45 beats hell out of 15 + 1 in 9mm anyday if you hit where you aim. 8 + 1 is greedy...it doesn't impress me...it is trying to improve on perfection.

7) It is often said that 7 rounders are more reliable than eights...but it has never been said that eights are more reliable than sevens.

8) I made my decision for sevens. If you chose eights, that is fine. But you better test them for reliablity and durability especially if left loaded for long periods of time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Funy how we have so many experiences with magazines.

I've never been disappointed by a Wilson 8 rounder.

I've NEVER had a Chip McCormick Magazine that worked.

------------------
J Damien Scott
Las Vegas, Nevada
Main Duty Gun:Kimber Classic Custom with Wilson 47D magazines.
Deep Concealment Gun: Kahr P9

·
Registered
287 Posts
On the flip side... I have THREE Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8rd mags that have well over 10K+ rounds without a problem in different 1911's.

I have never experienced a Wilson 8rd mag to fail in anyway either. I can understand cheap mags not working. We all have been there and done that. If a 1911 doesn't work with Wilson 8rd mags, the gun needs to be fixed.

Just my .02 worth, gunny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts