Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/31/BAOSU71JB.DTL&tsp=1

Perata's carjacked vehicle found in Richmond
Henry K. Lee, Chronicle Staff Writer
Sunday, December 30, 2007
(12-30) 08:32 PST RICHMOND --
Richmond police have found the car that was carjacked at gunpoint from State Senate President Pro Tem Don Perata in North Oakland, authorities said today.
The red 2006 Dodge Charger was found near the corner of Wiswall and Colette drives near the Hilltop Mall in Richmond at about 11 p.m. Saturday, nine hours after the carjacking, police said. The car will be processed for evidence.
Told about the recovery of the car, Perata, 62, said today that he was heartened that no one was hurt. "The car is immaterial to me," said the Oakland Democrat, whose home was guarded by the California Highway Patrol and police overnight.
He joked, "At least it was found in my district."
Perata was unharmed after he was accosted by a gunman at 51st Street and Shattuck Avenue in North Oakland at about 1:45 p.m. Saturday.
Perata said he was waiting for the light to change when, out of the corner of his eye, he noticed a man walking up to him. The senator, who has campaigned against assault weapons and crime, said he mistook the man for a panhandler or window washer at first.
But then the man began pulling a mask over his nose and pointed an automatic handgun at him "gangster style" - holding it sideways - before tapping it on his window and bellowing at him, "Get out of the m- car."
Perata said he told the man, "I'm outta here" and jumped out of the car, which police say may have been targeted for its 22-inch rims. The man got inside and took off in the car, which also had Perata's cell phone in it. The carjacker was followed by an accomplice in a gold 2000 Chevrolet Camaro that was stolen in San Leandro on Friday in an incident in which shots were fired, authorities said.
Oakland police Lt. Lawrence Green said police do not believe the assailants had recognized Perata on Saturday. The senator told officers that he believed he saw the men at a Union 76 gas station minutes earlier on Broadway Terrace, so it was possible that they followed him to 51st and Shattuck before carjacking him, Green said.
Perata said he was preparing to get onto the freeway when he was carjacked while he was the third car waiting at the red light. The gunman was no more than 3 feet away, and at one point, Perata said, he feared that if the assailant panicked and fired a round while fumbling to get his mask over his face, "that would have been the end of me."
Perata said today that he no longer carries a concealed-weapons permit and there was no gun in his state car. Perata said he never had the permit renewed when it expired two years ago because he "just never had the opportunity to re-qualify" at a gun range. Perata obtained the permit out of security concerns stemming from his work regulating firearms.

This quote is full of irony: "Perata obtained the permit out of security concerns stemming from his work regulating firearms."

·
Banned
8,526 Posts
We called him "pistol packin Perata" when I used to live near there, because he doesn't believe that anyone deserves to carry...except people of his political class.
I normally would never wish bad things to happen to people, but this guy deserves it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, as far as I can tell yeah that found it. Your right though, the paragraphs kinda just jammed together.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The hypocrisy! The hypocrisy!

·
Registered
112 Posts
More political hypocrisy...:barf:

·
Registered
734 Posts
GOD it just makes me sick that these anti gun politicians (and celebrities too) are SO anti gun but of course THEY are exempted and allowed to have guns and bodyguards.

Rosie O'Donnell wants guns banned but the fat freak wants an armed guard when she goes out! Ted Kennedy needs an army just to go out and drive around the block! But the regular joe is supposed to walk around unarmed. :barf:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Maybe he doesnt think everyone should be able to carry firearms because he's under the impression that we all have CHiPs guarding our homes at night.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Reminds me of "Let them eat cake."

The Nazi's had guns, the Jews did not.

Stalin had guns, the peasants did not.

Donate to the NRA!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm gonna have to email that link to some friends.

Hahaha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Come on you guys/gals..... Don't you people know that common people like us have the Govt. ie, Police, Politicians etc; to protect us?:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
This isn't gun related, but a couple of details about the car irked me -

Perata said the car was immaterial to him, which seems to me a bit cavalier, especially considering that the car seems to have been furnished by the state's tax paying public. Also, Perata's tax payer funded commuter, a red 2006 Dodge Charger (just an A-to-B car, ya know), doesn't come with 22" rims, so they must have been added to the car after purchase (but did Perata pay to have ~$3000 or more in wheels and tires put on the state car, or did the state fund this very necessary upgrade for him?). Hypocrisy goes to the bone.

·
Registered
344 Posts
This isn't gun related, but a couple of details about the car irked me -

Perata said the car was immaterial to him, which seems to me a bit cavalier, especially considering that the car seems to have been furnished by the state's tax paying public. Also, Perata's tax payer funded commuter, a red 2006 Dodge Charger (just an A-to-B car, ya know), doesn't come with 22" rims, so they must have been added to the car after purchase (but did Perata pay to have ~$3000 or more in wheels and tires put on the state car, or did the state fund this very necessary upgrade for him?). Hypocrisy goes to the bone.
My thoughts as well. Government agencies should be using fuel efficient cars like the Honda Pruis when they can. There is no need to waste tax dollars so politicos can ride around in style.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
My thoughts as well. Government agencies should be using fuel efficient cars like the Honda Pruis when they can. There is no need to waste tax dollars so politicos can ride around in style.
Yeah my thoughts too, we need to paste signs on all the anti's personal cars "No guns here, easy target":rock:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Look for Perata to become even more anti-gun in the belief that more gun laws would have prevented the car-jacking. Because, as we all know, criminals never break the law. Instead, they always buy new guns, they always buy new ammo, and they never target helpless people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts