1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found these while I was searching for Winchester Single Shots @ Gunbroker. I've never seen such a superb collection, and I thought a few folks here might enjoy them as well. I don't know the seller or anything about any of the rifles other than what's said in the auctions.
L.

P.S. If anyone has any Christmas thoughts, I particularly liked the 405 WCF and the 40-90 SS. Or the Stevens Pope Special

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=850503

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I've seen the 405's at gun shows in the past. The prices surely have gone up since then. I believe Teddy R used a 405 for hunting.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen the 405's at gun shows in the past. The prices surely have gone up since then. I believe Teddy R used a 405 for hunting.
He did. I think it was the Winchester Model 95. I assume most of the 1911 fans here know that the Model 1885 Single Shot was essentially John Browning's first
gun, and the beginning of his association with Winchester.
L.

·
Registered
285 Posts
JMB was building guns before the 1885, that was just his first one that Winchester bought the patents for. He was building guns in his family's bike shop just not mas producing them.

A note about some of those high walls with the Lyman peep sights, the guy has the wrong aperture in some of them, either Kings, Redfield or Marbles as you notice they don't screw in all the way. They were all different threads, to make the propriotary.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JMB was building guns before the 1885, that was just his first one that Winchester bought the patents for. He was building guns in his family's bike shop just not mas producing them.

That was why I said 'essentially'. His rifles evolved over a few years until Winchester bought the production rights, altered the design further, and produced the 1885.

L.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I thought the Henry rifles evolved into the winchesters?

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Henry was the precursor of the Model 1866 Winchester. John Browning was building single shot rifles in Ogden, Utah starting in 1878. This rifle basically became the Winchester Model 1885 Single-Shot, or as it's commonly known, the high-wall.
L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts