1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon, I take off for a spin around town on my bike. I'm a couple of blocks from home when I realize I had forgotten my insurance papers. (I had not forgotten my concealed carry pistol & spare mag.) No problem - I'll just cut back through this little neighborhood and get my papers.

The neighborhood wasn't the cleanest or newest but that didn't bother me as much as the pickup truck at the stop sign in front of me.

The driver was alone. He was looking back and forth, in the mirror at me and didn't take off in spite of having several chances. I had pulled up slowly leaving extra room in front of me.

He was still looking around as I was checking my possible escape routes. That's when he did the unexpected - He stepped out of his truck and started walking towards me.

He was walking up on a rattlesnake and didn't know it. He had my undivided attention. There's something about strangers getting out of their trucks and walking towards me that sets off alarms.

He didn't appear to be threatening or have anything in his hands. I asked him "What's up?" as I slipped my hand back to cover my pistol just in case.

He said he was a motorcycle mechanic and had just opened a place at his house. Thought I was trying to find his shop.

Whew! Major sigh of relief. He gave me his business card and I promised to look him up next chance I got. Then we both took off.

We were both lucky that he was harmless. Otherwise, my joy ride could have turned into a nightmare.

If there's any point to the story, maybe it's expect the unexpected, stay cool and check the situation out.

And oh, yeah -
Ride a bike and have some fun!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey TX...I liked the part...that alot of people forget...To leave room between you and the vehichle that you stop behind.(I actually first heard that from my driver instructor many years ago...his point being that if you got rearended...you wouldn't get sandwiched.) Maybe I am a little parinoid...but I feel more comfortable having an excape route if ever the need arouse.

Of course...I don't worry as much about it when I am in my 79 Bronco...It has a little bit of pushing power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have to agree with leaving room. I grew up in the S.F. Bay Area, and drove through Oakland a lot. They had a nice little way to steal your car there. You pull up at a light and don't leave any room, then another car rearedns you. When you get out to check out the situation, you've left the car running, then the guys in front of you take off with their car and yours, along with th ones that hit you. Never was in the situation, just warned numerous times about it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I totally agree with keeping plenty of room between you and the car ahead of you. actually bronco when I am in my truck (78 3/4 ton chevy with lift and tires (ect ect) I try to leave more room ahead of me (especally at night) I do this to be courtious to the other drivers (and possably avoiding a road rage scenareo).

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Glad it turned out to be a friendly talk. BTW, I wonder if you were still on top of the bike when he approached. If he happened to hide one of his hands behind his back, would you put down the bike stand and step away from the bike, or just speed/turn away from him? Just curious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts