1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, sometime back I wanted to do something different with a 1903.

No I don't mean a Bubba Sporter or anything like that.

Just something simple like a 1903 in .308.

Well along comes a post on another board talking about the 1903 NM rifle made in the 1920's.......some what of a vage critter it is to say the least.

Well, I found a 1903 and sent it off for mods to replicate and 1920's NRA NM rifle.

So after refinishing the Straight Finger Grooved stock I shipped it off back in late Oct. I just received it back yesterday and what a sight she is

:D

NM 1903's were fitted with a Lyman #47 rear peep sight that are rare these days so I opted for the Lyman #57 and added target knobs. (same set up just the #57 is alloy)

Clayton fired it and was getting 1.25-1.75 inch groups with surplus at 100........Nice Christmas present to myself :D

Karsten

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Very nice looking '03:cool:

I wouldn't mind finding me one to have and probably restore.
Where did you get yours, CMP? Are parts available for these for a decent price?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I love to shoot my Grandfather's old 03. He purchased it while in the military for $1!! Of course this rifle has seen its share of shooting and had a severely worn bore, so he took it to a friend in the marksmanship program and had him fill and re-bore the barrel. The rifle is in 30-06 and man it can sure outshoot me. Some years ago my uncle handmade a walnut stock for the rifle, giving it enough weight to make it comfortable to shoot all afternoon. I plan on putting a scope on it in the future and using it as my dear rifle.

Justin

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I cleaned it up really good and the action is really smooth.

I also like the Mag disconnect switch for just dropping on round on the follower keeping the mag full.

I have seen so really nice 1903's and even more so the 03a3's from the CMP lately.

Most are the Greek buy backs and are close to new or so it looks.

I need to join the GCA and find a place to shoot now as I am in dire need of another Garand.

I thought AR's were bad :confused:

Karsten

·
Registered
817 Posts
Justin,
BACK AWAY FROM THE '03 WITH THAT SCOPE MOUNT!
Please, if you need a deer rifle, go to Wally World or your local gun shop and but a deer gun. Please don't make anymore changes to a historical gun! Or buy an already "Bubbaized" '03 and have fun with it.

I just ordered an '03A3 from the CMP, and I'm already thinking of buying someone elses Bubbaized A3 to have a matched hunting gun to go with my original gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well the original hammer safety has been disabled, we no longer have the original stock, which was trash, and I don't know any sources for getting original type parts, as in a 1903A4 style scope mount and original scope. Or do you think that even converting it into a sniper type rifle would be "Bubbaized":eek:

Justin

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
I have an '03 Mark 1, and shoot it only two or three times a year, but it is a fun piece of shooting history. I'm kind of intrigued by the Pedersen Device, so I've aquired a mag pouch, a bolt pouch, and a dozen rounds of original ammo. Some years ago, Sarco had the Mark 1-specific sear and cut-off parts available as a set, for something like $75, but I haven't seen them offered, since. I also have an original, long bayonet and ammo belt. The length of pull is rather short, minus a trench coat and other gear, so my dad put a grenade launching butt pad on it, which makes it more comfortable to shoot. With handloads that replicate circa 1918 G.I. loads, I can shoot nice, round 3" groups, even with the darkish bore.

·
Registered
817 Posts
ALL the parts to restore one are out there. If you could get an original scope mount, maybe. But once you drill the receiver for the mount, it can never go back. Personally, I'd leave it as is since it has some family history to it. I would'nt add or take any of it away, but that's just me. I have Dads old Winchester model12 with a few scratches and dings in the stock. But that's the way Dad took care of it and installing a new stock and a reblue would be pretty, but not what Dad gave me. I also have his old LeFever .410 double barrel. Has a nasty dent in one of the barrels that one of my older cousins put in it while using it as their hunting gun before Dad got it back from his familys home. It's family character. None was intentionally put there, but it has some history that I don't want to remove.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've got an '03A1 (1918 receiver with a pistol-grip stock on it) at home. One of the pitted, reparked ex-Lend-Lease guns that the now-defunct Federal Ordnance of California brought home in the early '90's, cost me 239 out of the SGN.

It's got a then-new Sedgely USMC barrel on it, and I confess I never could get the hang of that sight. I used a no-tap-no-drill B-Square mount, put a cheap Redfield on top of it, and was at least able to make reasonable 500 yard groups with it, though I'm still better with a Garand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts