1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Askins Avenger holster for my commander, but there is very little tension that holds the gun in. I've always heard that a good holster should retain a gun if you hold it upside down and the gun doesn't fall out. Is there anything I can do to tighten the fit?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I have added a tension adjustment screw to a couple holsters that I have, that came without the screw from the manufacturer. Take a look at where the tension screw is on most holsters - it's usually near the trigger guard area. I then drill a pilot hole in the location I wanted the screw.

If you have never seen a tension screw, it is a two-piece deal. One half is the threaded side, the other is the tapped side. They screw together, that's how tension is changed.

Any reputable holster maker may be kind enough to supply you with one or two screw. Of course it helps if you purchase some cow to go with those screws.

·
Registered
624 Posts
jirwin, The screws that Shane 45 is refering to are called, 'Chicago Screws', and his advice is correct in that you can drill, or punch a hole close to the trigger guard, or
near the muzzle of the holster. When you tighten the screw, it squeezes the leather down around the gun in that area. If you feel industrious, you can also re-mold the holster to tighten it up. Wet the holster with hot water, no hotter than comes out of the tap. Don't soak it for long, maybe a minute untill it's evenly wet, (the same color throughout). Wrap the gun in a thin layer of plastic wrap trying to get the wrinkles out. Then using your hands, thumbs, and fingers, press around the gun, and use your thumbs to push a recess into the
trigger guard. If you have a smooth tool, perhaps a tooth brush handle, you can 'bone' the holster by rubbing it with the tool. This will burnish the leather and actually stiffen it. Let dry naturally for a couple of hours with the gun in it. Take the gun out, and then let dry at least overnight.
You should have a well fitting holster when it's dry. Coat the outside with a good paste wax, and you're done.
Let me know how you make out.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

[This message has been edited by Louis F. Alessi (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Louis F. Alessi (edited 03-10-2001).]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The tension screw is an interesting idea. What would happen if I wrapped the gun in plastic wrap or a zip lock bag,immersed the gun in holster in water, and then let it dry? Do you think the leather would shrink or expand?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Son, several holster makers did (and may still) offer leather rigs with Chicago screws to tighten or loosen the tention on the hoslter. Gordon Davis, Milt Sparks, Blocker and, I think, Andy Anderson all had holsters with the tensioning screws. There was a revolver hoslter that had the entire welt that could be moved to provide tension by loosening and thightening a screw, the SLOAN welt.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Interesting! I've only dealt with Rosen, Alessi, Sherrick, Kramer to name a few. I guess I should keep my eyes open because I've probably seen the tension screws at gun shows.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Son, Jim is refering to an FBI Agent named
Hank Sloan. He was a firearms instructor for the FBI in the late 30's I believe, and designed the holster to be used with their Mod 27's. The holster used an adjustable welt that could be used to tighten the friction fit of the gun in the holster, and was locked in place with a Chicago Screw. Those holsters were made for many years by the now defunct Bucheimer holster company in Baltimore MD. Milt Sparks carried this design
forward to the 1AT, and Hackathorn Special.
It is a classic.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

[This message has been edited by Louis F. Alessi (edited 03-11-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts