1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'd post my results of my trip to the range, but I'm a little embarassed as to how likely it is that the few bullseyes I got were as much a crap shoot as the ones that barely hit the paper at all.

I'd like to learn more about being a better shooter. For example, I'm not sure I'm holdign the gun right. I have my dominant hand in the expected position, but the nondominant hand - i kept hitting my thumb on the hammer and man that smarts. Then I put the nondomominant hand holding the base of the pistol and that certainly reduces bleeding :mummy:, but I don't see anyone else shooting like this and i don't want to learn bad habits.

Are there any books that are recommened? If it covers rifles, that's fine too.

Or just advice is welcomed.

EDIT: My 1911 has the GI sites.

·
Registered
967 Posts
M1, check out www.warriortalk.com for info on combat shooting and Gabe Suarez's series of books. He's very good and I've enjoyed reading his works.

www.brianenos.com also has a lot of online information to peruse.

www.mattburkett.com is another bookmark for you, both Matt and Brian are top-class shooters.

Another source, which I highly recommend is Jim Grover's Crucible series of videos/dvds available from www.paladinpress.com This is one of the best see-it-as-it-happens videos that I've ever spent the money on.

And don't forget your local magazine rack. Just one picture of a good hold will pay for the price of the magazine.

As to your grip, it sounds like you stronghand is doing well, but you're putting the thumb of the weakhand over the top of the stronghand and in the path of the slide as it moves rearward in the firing cycle. As you might have surmised, this is a big no-no.

The weakhand should be pressed into the left grip panel with the thumb lying along the frame and pointing at the target. The stronghand mates with the weakhand along the top edge with the thumbs almost directly on top of eachother. Keep equal pressure on the weapon with both hands.

Cupping the bottom of the pistol like you were saucering a cup of tea is good for a movie, but it is horribly inefficient in the real world. Check out the links and let me know what more I can help with.

And welcome to the club. There's nothing like a 1911 in the hand to just make the day good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts