1911Forum banner

Any Comments On S&W 59 or 459?

3359 77
Looking for plusses or drawbacks in this design. The reason is, I once had an FEG GKK92C which is basically a S&W 59 and I liked it a lot. Now I want it again, but the FEG version has too much baggage (parts, magazines) so I'm thinking 'get the real thing' but I've never picked one up.
Any thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
They're generally excellent guns. They certainly get a lot of love on the Smith & Wesson Forum.

I personally carry a 469 (12+1) in a fanny pack in the summer months. I prefer the DA/SA trigger over the squishy trigger in the typical Tupperware guns. Yeah, they're heavier than Tupperware, but all of us on this board carry one or more 1911s very likely, so we're used to heavy guns.

If you go that route, I would recommend the Gen 3 guns. The trigger system was generally a bit more refined. The magazines all interchange within a caliber and type (meaning double stack versus single stack). So look at the 5906 as opposed to the 59 or the 659.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
the 1st an 2nd gen guns were junk and the bad rep of those guns turned people off to the 3rd gen
Dude, that's not true one bit. They had some finicky things with some of the old style hollow points, but so did most of the semi-autos on the market back then. My 1st Gen 469 came to me in excellent condition and hasn't missed a beat. There are a lot of people that can say the same thing.

I get it, you like the Sigs. That's pretty obvious from your comments. But if your preferred gun is so superior, why is it necessary to beat on its competition.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Or just sucked. I never ran into any LEO carrying model 59 and I was in one of the top four departments in the US>
My local department carried nothing but 59s in the late-80s, early-90s. I had an FFL at the time and sold some guns to the department and also a bunch of personal BUGs to a lot of officers. They called me in one day because they had a new officer who was a small woman, so the 59 was too big for her hands. They wanted me to meet her and suggest an alternative. At the time, the department only approved S&Ws and Colts, and no single action autos (i.e 1911 or BHP), I sold her a Model 39 and extra mags, and she was all set. She recently retired from the department as a sergeant after putting in 30 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts