1911Forum banner

Any Comments On S&W 59 or 459?

3831 Views 78 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  [email protected]
Looking for plusses or drawbacks in this design. The reason is, I once had an FEG GKK92C which is basically a S&W 59 and I liked it a lot. Now I want it again, but the FEG version has too much baggage (parts, magazines) so I'm thinking 'get the real thing' but I've never picked one up.
Any thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
829 Posts
My first 9mm was a 39-2, a pretty decent-shooting pistol. I removed the magazine safety and swapped out the sight for a factory adjustable sight (easy to do, lift the tab on the front of the sight, rotate it 90 degrees, and lift out the sight. The Magazine safety was spring-loaded and under that rear sight, so you just lifted out the spring and plunger, no more magazine safety. Replace the fixed rear with the adjustable one, rotate it 90 degrees, and drop that front tab into the machined slot). Bingo, instant trigger job AND you have an adjustable sight. I learned how to handload the 9mm with that pistol, and along with a Commander .45, I learned how to shoot autopistols. I have fond memories of that 39-2, it didn't gag unless I fed it some questionable ammo.
I did finally sell it and bought my first Hi Power, with the beer can sights. It was less reliable than that Smith. Classier, but not as trustworthy.

· Registered
829 Posts
I got to shoot J. Michael Plaxco's PC 4006 comp gun back in the day, it was sure a fun, soft-shooting pistol. It was a heavy club, and completely unsuited for carry purposes or duty use, for that matter. Plaxco was on S&W's shooting team back then, with Tom Campbell and his one-off .45 (at that time), and I worked at a shooting range, we hosted them for a Smith and Wesson Day. They helped us sell a LOT of Smiths that week.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts