1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Looking for plusses or drawbacks in this design. The reason is, I once had an FEG GKK92C which is basically a S&W 59 and I liked it a lot. Now I want it again, but the FEG version has too much baggage (parts, magazines) so I'm thinking 'get the real thing' but I've never picked one up.
Any thoughts?
I used a M59 that was my grandfathers to compete in Action Pistol when I got out of the Military in the mid 90’s. Later competed with a Browning Highpower and a Springfield 1911, but went back to the 59. For whatever reason it pointed more instinctive, and seemed to be more accurate in rapid fire than the Browning or 1911–maybe this was just me. After my grandfather passed, the 59 went to my father, and I never competed with it again, but it seemed very reliable, and I don’t think the alloy frame suffered any appreciable wear. I’ve got respect for the old 59, and Military and Police was S&W’s intended market from the beginning for it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Had a 39 for awhile. Nothing wrong with it but I sold it for a nice profit. An old shooting buddy bought it and carried it for years loaded with W-W Silvertips. I don't recall it jamming with FMJ or ST.

Saw a factory nickel 59 LNIB at a LGS for $200 about 10yrs ago. Thought about it for awhile , but of course it was gone when I went back. Never liked the grip. With Pachmayr's, it was like grabbing a motorcycle tire.
I saw one also about 15 years ago with box for $425, but I was intrigued by the Tisas 1911 Regent at another table for $365, and the larger caliber .45 won out. I had a Highpower at home at the time, but no .45 ACP, and that old Tisas, one of the early ones in the country, is still going strong. Still think about that model 59 though—maybe someday!

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I was younger and fresh out of the military, I’d compete at the Mtn. Home AFB Range Action Pistol matches that were held there. Being young and not sure what I liked, I went through a few different pistols over a couple years of shooting there, and I probably did my best shooting with my Grandfather’s Model 59. It and my HiPower were limited by minor power factor, but the follow up shots were faster and I had more X-ring torso hits with the 9mm’s. The 59 was a little more accurate, and it won me a bowling pin match one weekend there. Although somewhat different than the HP’s grip, the 59 didn’t shift in my hand and I never found myself adjusting my grip like I would with 1911s. The folks at Smith & Wesson had obviously put a lot of thought into the pistol. While the finish did wear on the forward part of the rails, it doesn’t have any additional play that can be detected. My Father has the pistol today, and it’s seen thousands of rounds from regular use over four decades—I’d say S&W made a pretty good pistol when they designed the 59.
Shti Scheklim Sheli!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Funny how models come and go and we never notice. People just assume newer marketing programs produce better Guns. Big secret folks, marketing and profit does not have much to do with function or quality or value. The guns or cars or chain saws that are going to be put on the shelf are going to be the ones that makes the most money in a given year based on what the market is or much better what they can make the market be. It does not matter what you or I think based on our actual experience, we will alter our opinion based upon what the gun writers say in some extensive test, they performed, that "proves" one is great, the other junk., by their paid testing. Gun people are likely the most gullible buyers in the sporting goods market. The sporting goods market for handguns are people who buy guns that are used for recurring range practice, as opposed to purchasers who use them for hunting only, defense or law enforcement. Some of us buy them for multiple purposes but some will be just for that range fun and that is exactly why they are pushing $4000 guns with $400 dot sights and $300 timers and $500 video cams so you can play back your shooting to your buds on Facebook. They will never know you are a real gun fighter, unless you post b
videos each week.

The reason for the marketing talk? Because some Guns, like the SW model 59, the Ruger 89-95 series and others just fell out of favor, for no rational reason other than what the other marketing people said about them. When the model 59 came to
law enforcement, I was carrying a model 19 and occasionally a 1911 Commander, The only high capacity 9mm was the Browning Highpower, and many did not trust them. The model 59 was reserved for the greatest gun fighters in law enforcement.

The model 59 was a favorite of SWAT and special units. If you saw one it was carried by DEA or high level narcotics officers. The model 59 stayed at the top of the heap until the Glocks came along, and then suddenly it was too heavy. I was in specialized units by then and we were back ton1911s, so I never carried a Model 59 on the job.

I did buy a model 915 from a police supply. In those days the Marlin Camp Carbine was a handy 9mm carbine that took the same magazines as all those high cap Smith and Wessons. It was common to see cops carrying both. I found the model 915 to be a great gun, better than any Sig I gad ever used and certainly a bargain. I compared them in value to the CZ 75, which I am also very fond of. Today people who have both the 59 and Camp Carbine are a cult.

When I hear someone trash them, I always ask if they used them in police work or competition. I have never found anyone who used them much who trashed them just people who had limited exposure to them. They are bigger than I like to carry but for a house or car gun, they are great.

If I could buy them cheap; I would buy several. You could arm your family for when the zombies come, anyone can shoot them well.
My experience with the 59 was very positive, and I was surprised to see several still in service when I visited Israel in 2017. There must have been a large contract that went there as they are very common for civilian carry and they are mostly devoid of any finish when you see them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts