1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
I purchased a 59 new back about 1977. They had a fairly short run and rightly so. I could not get the pistol to run anything and way too many controls. As stated there are better options.

· Registered
106 Posts
The Model 59 had a fairly long run for a Smith & Wesson product, from 1971 until 1982 when the 2nd generation models came out. Mine runs perfectly fine. I just absolutely hate the trigger, but other than that it's a pretty decent gun.
I’ll grant that statement on their pistols. Revolvers are another story. I have an M&P 40c and a 2.0 c in 9mm. The 59 just does not stand up to them.

· Registered
106 Posts
Not saying no one did, I just never ran across one. I did recover a 39 with Illinois State Police marks out of a dope house. I know they went to the 59 after the 39. Prolly a great pistol but not for me.

· Registered
106 Posts
Really? Maybe you need to get out of your big city where officers work without backup, and a swat team ten minutes away. When you work remote, you gontonthe call,it pull the guy over at 4:00 am and backup is 20-30 miles away, a high capacity handgun makes sense. There were no Glocks or Young men with guns until,
long after you made your move. for that reason, officers who rode alone in remote area flocked to the model 59, 4011; and all those third generation Smith and Wessons, once you learned to shoot them you wound not want anything else.Triggers were actually pretty easy to learn, basically the same as the Berretta. Sone if the ladies and smaller guys did not like them because people with short fingers never could shoot them double action. And that is the great thing about the Glicks, even people with small hand and fingers can shoot them well.

The biggest shooting spree in the decade was turned towards conclusion, when an Oklahoma Trooper pulled a model 59 from a shoulder rig and opened fire. It did not, end the multi state battle but it did send the bad guts down the street where they woukdvsoon die. Without the high capacity, he would probably have died also.

May 26, 1978 ... The darkest day in Oklahoma Highway Patrol History (ohptrooper.com)Three Troopers killed and five civilians killed, quite bit more shooting that the FBI Miami deal. I knew Grimes and was working federal cases in the area.
The killing started in Alabama and Geogia , some killed in Texas then ended in Oklamoma. 8 dead three wounded.3 Troopers, Convicts Die In Gunbattle (ohptrooper.com)

View attachment 646208
Trooper Hughes in this pic is wearing a shoulder holster, in it was a Nickle modelThe California Troopers went for the lne in 40 sw. They are a great gun too.

View attachment 646210
And they kept them for 25 years because they are so accurate and reliable and easy to shoot.

State of Tennessee issue 2000 models 5906.They are nice as well. View attachment 646211
And the list goes on. Those who can shoot them do, and the resttof us,just keep on trying,
First off I was only referring to the Model 59 which was a double stack, blued 9mm pistol and I personally owned. I was still in OK when that occurred and it was a very sad time. I believe OHP were issued Mini-14s after that as the crooks had long guns. To no longer hijack this guys thread I will be more than happy to discuss in messages. Thanks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts