1911Forum banner

Any Comments On S&W 59 or 459?

3344 77
Looking for plusses or drawbacks in this design. The reason is, I once had an FEG GKK92C which is basically a S&W 59 and I liked it a lot. Now I want it again, but the FEG version has too much baggage (parts, magazines) so I'm thinking 'get the real thing' but I've never picked one up.
Any thoughts?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Had a 39 for awhile. Nothing wrong with it but I sold it for a nice profit. An old shooting buddy bought it and carried it for years loaded with W-W Silvertips. I don't recall it jamming with FMJ or ST.

Saw a factory nickel 59 LNIB at a LGS for $200 about 10yrs ago. Thought about it for awhile , but of course it was gone when I went back. Never liked the grip. With Pachmayr's, it was like grabbing a motorcycle tire.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
The magazine disconnect has also saved the lives of some police officers. In one instance a traffic cop was sucker-punched and his S&W auto taken from him. Fortunately the weapon was on-safe, and the perp didn't know which control was the safety was so he hit the mag release button first, dropping the mag. Then he found the actual safety lever and tried again, only now the pistol wouldn't fire. It saved the cop from an execution-style death.

That being said, I personally hate mag safeties as well, and the pistols I have with one are range guns only. But we live in a world where a safety device might get you killed, or it might actually work as intended depending on the circumstances.
Also read stories in the gun mags back in the late 70~80s about cops who were struggling for their gun with bigger, stronger perps and punched the mag release themselves. Then drew their back-up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts