1911Forum banner

Any Comments On S&W 59 or 459?

3804 78
Looking for plusses or drawbacks in this design. The reason is, I once had an FEG GKK92C which is basically a S&W 59 and I liked it a lot. Now I want it again, but the FEG version has too much baggage (parts, magazines) so I'm thinking 'get the real thing' but I've never picked one up.
Any thoughts?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
And the U.S. military adopted the Beretta 9mm, while retiring the 1911s, until the boots on the ground started asking for their .45s back. Just because a major governmental agency adopts and maintains use of a certain platform, it should not necessarily be treated as an endorsement of said platform or its efficacy. The Colt M1892 .38 Long Colt revolver, the Reising M50 SMG, and the M1 Carbine are all stark examples.
It is entirely possible that the S.F.P.D. catastrophe was an isolated incident. Cold comfort to a police officer who might have lost his life in that conflict. There's also the matter of sending a sworn peace officer afield with a sidearm equipped with a magazine disconnect in it. THAT'S a bad move, in ANY theater of conflict. Given a choice between being armed with an auto pistol equipped with an M.D., or a 6-shot K-frame .357, I'LL take the revolver.
Just because you make a blanket statement, don't make it so. For what it was designed to do, the M1 carbine excelled. The only time it became a "stark example" is when the troops tried to use a well made shovel as a backhoe.

· Registered
611 Posts
I never could like the Model 59, ergonomics just didn’t work for me. Loved the model 39 though.

The 459 has vastly improved ergonomics, trigger…well…everything. It’s a whole lot better than the 59 and not a bad shooter at all. The 3rd Gen S&W’s are brute strong, and very reliable. But finding magazines can sometimes be a challenge depending on which model you’re looking at.
The ergonomics of a 59/459 are horrible, literally is like holding a 2x4 in your hand.

· Registered
611 Posts
No, a Glock is like a 2x4. A Smith 59/459 is like holding the fat end of a baseball bat. ;)
I carried a a 459 as a duty sidearm for about 8 months in the late 1990's. When our department transitioned from the 459 to a Gen 3 G23 everyone agreed it was a vast improvement in trigger and ergonomics.

We had the option of purchasing our issued 459 at a bargain price and I recall only two deputies purchased theirs and that was so they could make a fast buck reselling theirs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts