1911Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Administrator
79,298 Posts
I am not saying you are wrong, but my take on it was a lot of these guns were always too heavy.
The Model 59 isn't heavy. It's a bit fat, but so were most early double-stack 9mms. Like I said earlier, the only thing I can really ding it for is the horrible trigger in both DA and SA mode.

Reactions: John Joseph

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Or just sucked. I never ran into any LEO carrying model 59 and I was in one of the top four departments in the US>
Really? Maybe you need to get out of your big city where officers work without backup, and a swat team ten minutes away. When you work remote, you gontonthe call,it pull the guy over at 4:00 am and backup is 20-30 miles away, a high capacity handgun makes sense. There were no Glocks or Young men with guns until,
long after you made your move. for that reason, officers who rode alone in remote area flocked to the model 59, 4011; and all those third generation Smith and Wessons, once you learned to shoot them you wound not want anything else.Triggers were actually pretty easy to learn, basically the same as the Berretta. Sone if the ladies and smaller guys did not like them because people with short fingers never could shoot them double action. And that is the great thing about the Glicks, even people with small hand and fingers can shoot them well.

The biggest shooting spree in the decade was turned towards conclusion, when an Oklahoma Trooper pulled a model 59 from a shoulder rig and opened fire. It did not, end the multi state battle but it did send the bad guts down the street where they woukdvsoon die. Without the high capacity, he would probably have died also.

May 26, 1978 ... The darkest day in Oklahoma Highway Patrol History (ohptrooper.com)Three Troopers killed and five civilians killed, quite bit more shooting that the FBI Miami deal. I knew Grimes and was working federal cases in the area.
The killing started in Alabama and Geogia , some killed in Texas then ended in Oklamoma. 8 dead three wounded.3 Troopers, Convicts Die In Gunbattle (ohptrooper.com)

Plant Gesture Military person Military uniform Hat

Trooper Hughes in this pic is wearing a shoulder holster, in it was a Nickle modelThe California Troopers went for the lne in 40 sw. They are a great gun too.

Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

And they kept them for 25 years because they are so accurate and reliable and easy to shoot.

State of Tennessee issue 2000 models 5906.They are nice as well.
White Trigger Line Gun barrel Air gun

And the list goes on. Those who can shoot them do, and the resttof us,just keep on trying,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Really? Maybe you need to get out of your big city where officers work without backup, and a swat team ten minutes away. When you work remote, you gontonthe call,it pull the guy over at 4:00 am and backup is 20-30 miles away, a high capacity handgun makes sense. There were no Glocks or Young men with guns until,
long after you made your move. for that reason, officers who rode alone in remote area flocked to the model 59, 4011; and all those third generation Smith and Wessons, once you learned to shoot them you wound not want anything else.Triggers were actually pretty easy to learn, basically the same as the Berretta. Sone if the ladies and smaller guys did not like them because people with short fingers never could shoot them double action. And that is the great thing about the Glicks, even people with small hand and fingers can shoot them well.

The biggest shooting spree in the decade was turned towards conclusion, when an Oklahoma Trooper pulled a model 59 from a shoulder rig and opened fire. It did not, end the multi state battle but it did send the bad guts down the street where they woukdvsoon die. Without the high capacity, he would probably have died also.

May 26, 1978 ... The darkest day in Oklahoma Highway Patrol History (ohptrooper.com)Three Troopers killed and five civilians killed, quite bit more shooting that the FBI Miami deal. I knew Grimes and was working federal cases in the area.
The killing started in Alabama and Geogia , some killed in Texas then ended in Oklamoma. 8 dead three wounded.3 Troopers, Convicts Die In Gunbattle (ohptrooper.com)

View attachment 646208
Trooper Hughes in this pic is wearing a shoulder holster, in it was a Nickle modelThe California Troopers went for the lne in 40 sw. They are a great gun too.

View attachment 646210
And they kept them for 25 years because they are so accurate and reliable and easy to shoot.

State of Tennessee issue 2000 models 5906.They are nice as well. View attachment 646211
And the list goes on. Those who can shoot them do, and the resttof us,just keep on trying,
First off I was only referring to the Model 59 which was a double stack, blued 9mm pistol and I personally owned. I was still in OK when that occurred and it was a very sad time. I believe OHP were issued Mini-14s after that as the crooks had long guns. To no longer hijack this guys thread I will be more than happy to discuss in messages. Thanks...

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
As to the OPs question......Classic Wonder Nine: Smith & Wesson Model 59 :: Guns.com

This link sums it up pretty well as I remember it. I had forgotten that Mas Ayoob was high on it. I knew he liked the 39.

"''Soon after it was released, the Model 59 proved popular in LE use, with Massad Ayoob detailing the Wrentham, Massachusetts, PD may have been the first to adopt it. By 1974, Las Vegas Metro was carrying the M59. Some departments of the era reportedly compromised by issuing the Model 59 while buying a smaller stock of Model 39s for use by detectives and those with hands too small to wrap around the larger grip of the double-stack. "''
"''Keep in mind that in 1971, when the Model 59 debuted, guns like the Beretta 92, SIG P220, and CZ75 were still on the drawing board and would be a few years away from making it to the U.S. "''

I believe that the model was cloned internally and sold under a different brand and take the same mags. I think the current one may be the Tisas Zigana F9, I am told they cannot keep them in stock. Note the similarity, controls are the sames,etc.I think they made 4 models of them, I tried to buy one on line last year, but they are sold out and I am low on the waiting list and while I am on several notify lists, none have come through. .The dealers like Buds who also have storefronts give their local customers first shot hard to find Guns so we may not see them for sale on line for a long time. The last one I saw for sale was $130 over MSRP,so I refused.

Model 59
Trigger Air gun Finger Gun barrel Wood

Trigger Air gun Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

I would certainly trust the Tisas, and they were under $300 at one time.. I have read it is the same gun, by reviewers but I have never seen one. None of the major online dealers have them in stock. FWIW My 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
3,680 Posts
The Model 59 isn't heavy. It's a bit fat, but so were most early double-stack 9mms. Like I said earlier, the only thing I can really ding it for is the horrible trigger in both DA and SA mode.
Yuup, my memory failed me...I forgot the 59/459 were aluminum frames...half pound lighter. Most of my experience with 2nd and 3rd gen guns was with the all stainless variants.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The Tisas doesn’t appear to be much like the Model 59 at all.
I did not say they looked alike, I said one of the gun rags said they are the same inside and used the same magazines. Might not h've been the Tisas, but if you look at those two, all of the mechanicals are in the same place. The safety in the exact spot, that matters because even a close clone must have it there, the slide release the same , and the relationship if the trigger pins are the same so I am am not sure what you are looking at. I may have forgotten which one it was but all the SW forum guys would know. It may have been one of the Zeniths, not sure but I thought it was that Tisas that they cannot keep in stock, Somebody likes them. The original was 27 ounces and that one us close. Inwould buy one of thosevTisas in a heartbeat if ut us close in trigger design, the midel 59 had a great trigger for fast shooting in single action. The 9 mm was not the best round but the 59 was great for bowling pin shoots,

·
Registered
638 Posts
I did not say they looked alike,
I didn't say you did, and my comment was not in reference solely to external appearances.

if you look at those two, all of the mechanicals are in the same place.
Except they're not.

Takedown is completely different. Are you able to remove the slide on a Model 59 without removing the slide stop as on the Tisas? Where is the separate takedown lever of the Tisas on the Model 59?

Trigger bar and disconnector designs are completely different.

Internally, the locking systems are completely different. Where is the Model 59's upper radial locking lug on the barrel and radial lug recess in the slide on the Tisas? Where is the Tisas' SIG Sauer-style (or Webley & Scott .455 Self-Loading Pistol Mk. I-style) squared lug that locks up with the ejection port on the Model 59? Where is the Model 59's cam-and-ramp locking system on the Tisas? Where is the Tisas' more conventional single lower lug and cam locking system on the Model 59? Where is the Model 59's barrel bushing on the Tisas?

Even if you're limited to comparing the exteriors, I really have no idea how you conclude that the Model 59 and any of the Tisas Zigana variants have much in common aside from being double-stack DA/SA 9mm semi-autos with slide-mounted safety/decockers.

·
Administrator
79,298 Posts
That Tisas has nothing in common with a Model 59 aside from being a double-stack, double-action 9mm with a slide-mounted decocker. Lots of "wondernines" fit that pattern back in the early days.

Reactions: Michael W Cuber
61 - 72 of 72 Posts