1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well... I have given up on the chance at picking up a Dan Wesson Patriot or STI Trojan 5.0 out here in Kalifornia so I'm considering the gun I had my eyes on a few years back... the Kimber Custom Royal... I don't see many posts about this particular model and was wondering how the finish is and how it holds up... any thoughts on whether the Gold Match Stainless is worth the extra bucks... I prefer the fixed sights to the target sights so that advantage doesn't count for much to me... is the fit/parts kit of the Gold that much better than the Custom Royal... thanks in advance... POA.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I love my pre II Custom Royal Kimber. I too looked a long tim for one and finally found it in Russeville, AR. It's a great shooter the only thing that has been done to mine is some work to the trigger.

I just like blue high polished slides with the fixed sights. The only other Kimbers I have are the the Team match models in .45 and 38 supper. I would like to get one of the new compact models with trench sights milled in to the slide.

Hardball1911

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine is 4 or 5 yrs old and still my favorite 1911. Have others that are "fancier" but they don't shoot any better. I don't carry it so I can't comment on how the finish holds up in a holster, but it's sure pretty with the blued steel. It feeds everything including those "flying ashtray" loads without a hiccup. As I noted in another post, it has almost NO extractor tension, but always works- so I leave it alone and just keep shooting. Think I paid $700 for it new- doubt I'll ever find as nice a gun for that price again.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I just picked up a Series 1 "Classic Royal. It was a safe queen, and barely shot (barrel didn't look like it was shot).

I put 50 rds thru it the day I got it, and it was significantly more accurate than my Colt Government Series 80. No malfunctions at all.

I've yet to shoot more since I've been busy w/ school and being broke... but I am quite happy with my purchase.

For some reason my Royal is VERY tight... its sometimes difficult to rack the slide. Is this normal?

I'll post a pic of it when I get a chance. :)

Good luck

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a Series 1 and I love it. The finish is beautiful and because I am extremely anal/careful about how I handle it, it will probably stay that way. I have a Stainless Target Series 1 with "Straight 8's" that I would use for carry/dirty work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts