1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for any data for loading 40 sw
which will give a low pressure (psi), this load would be intended for plinking with low recoil. I'm somewhat skeptical to high pressure loads due to the fact that i shoot both 1911 in 40 and a usp 40 aswell. i was wondering if somebody shoots both guns and found a consistent data for both barrels
(rifled and polygon)i would appreciate any input.

·
Registered
550 Posts
A 155 lead swc in front of 5.5 of Winchester 231 works well in my .40, and is well below maximum.

·
Registered
257 Posts
40 can not opperate at as low pressures as say, 45 ACP or 38 Special due to the cartridge design. Any load will be running a fairly signicant pressure relative to the above two mentioned cartridges. However, a slower burning powder(AA#5 or Universal) with a lighter bullet(155 or 165) will give you a safety margin, AS LONG AS YOUR CASE TENSION IS GOOD ENOUGH!! Selecting the proper sizing die has as much to do with preventing kbs as powder charge.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Case tension is important, and can vary with different cases. In my experience, inadequate case tension has been caused by overly large expander dies. Reducing the size of the expander ball by running it in a drill against sandpaper has solved the problem.

What I look for in the finished product is a slight hourglass shape in the finished round -- you can see the base of the bullet is against a slight shoulder in the case which prevents it from being driven further into the case.

The traditional test is to press a loaded round nose first against a solid surface -- hard -- to make sure the bullet will not go in the case further. I find the "hourglass" shape to be a more reliable indicator.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i would like to know if anybody knows of a sizing die that's better than dillons
is there such an animal that would size your cases a little bit further , coz i have
notice my casings to still have a slight bulge in the base,even if i have the die all
the way down towards the plate or is it because of the plate?

·
Registered
550 Posts
What you are seeing is normal. A sizing die has to have a big enough hole for a fired, expanded case to enter easily. Then the inside diameter tapers to its sizing diameter. This leaves some of the base of the case expanded. If your loads are at normal pressure, the loads should chamber and perform fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank kln you have been very helpfull.

[This message has been edited by kidd (edited 08-03-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts