1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
still being new to the 1911 platform i was wondering if any one could suggest some decent books on the subject

there is the patrick sweeny book "gun digest book of the 1911" vol 1
is it any good ??

how about the Jerry Kuhnhausen book " the colt 45 a shop manual"
is it a good buy?

i am looking for some good foundational reading on the 1911 not a bunch of reviews on differnt guns which i know the patrick sweeny book has...

any suggestions out there??

thanks

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I'd consider both of Kuhbhausen's books on the 1911. More info there than you may need or want however and there are several errors on when various Colt models came out.

I'd also look at the book offered by our Moderator Stephen Camp. You can find a link to his website etc in his signature,. He mods the BHP forum.

There are other books on the 1911 out there, some of value and others are "library" reading material.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Kunhausen's books are all good.

For the 1911 guy I recommend
The Modern Technique of the Pistol by Gregory Morrison
along with Chuck Taylor's "The Combat Handgun".

Dave Luack has a pretty good book on the 1911 as well, but it's more oriented towards the buyer of custom guns.

Gabe Suarez books are good too.

There used to be a phamplet from Desert Publications about the .45 called "Quick or Dead" that was fairly fun and interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I borrowed the sweeny book from a friend. I'm about half way through (everything but the gun reviews). Its a pretty good book and I have a hard time putting it down when I find time to read it. IF you are looking for a good general book I'd say crack it open. It doesn't really have much of the history and collector side of the 1911 if that's what you are looking for, its more practical 1911 knowledge

·
Registered
812 Posts
Good info avaialble in both the Kuhnhausen & Camp books. I have not had an opportunity to do much more than glance through Sweenys book but it does appear to have good info available as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts