1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Never used them before, but found a good deal on some 10mm bullets. Anyone recommend them or give them a pass?
Or anyone know of any deals out there on 40 cal bullets?
Lead or copper is fine.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
What's the deal you found and what makes it a "good deal" to you?

I don't have any experience with Magnus, but I can try and help with other deals out there - just not sure how much help I'll be without knowing any of the particulars.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Use some several yrs. back, pick up leading in barrel, forceing cone on a 45 colt, never again for me, will stay with laser-cast.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
charlie-6 said:
Use some several yrs. back, pick up leading in barrel, forceing cone on a 45 colt, never again for me, will stay with laser-cast.
Thanks Charlie.

kevins_garage,
I found some 180 gr 4000 rounds for $200 so $50 a thou. About $15 cheaper per thou then Berry (what I normally use) But if they are leading not worth the savings to have to clean more often.

·
Registered
758 Posts
My experience with Magnus has been limited to 147 gr. 9mm.

In my Trojan 5.0, over 3.9 grs 231, they work great. Nice accurate load with no recoil. No leading at this velocity level.

Cast bullets lead at lower and upper ends of pressure/velocity curve. Too light a load will not obturate the base of the bullet causing excessive leading. Too high a velocity causes leading. Cast lead loads are like bowls of porrage, not too hot, not too cold, just right. Takes a bit of experimenting. But that's the fun of reloading.

By the way, somebody like Magnus. They are so backed up on orders that they have suspended sales of bullets in their showroom.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have bought thousands of bullets from Magnus. He is local so I just go pick them up. Like Jay said though, he is really backed up. I haven't had any trouble with the 230gr RN or the 200swc.

Anthony

·
Registered
278 Posts
Absolutely the worst 45ACP bullets I've ever used. Sizing was all over the place as well as the lube. Many mal-formed bullets in the box. Never again.
Bronson7

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
We seem to have a difference of opinion as to the quality of these bullets. How can that be? Poor quality control? Difference standards of acceptance by the reloader?

·
Registered
278 Posts
We seem to have a difference of opinion as to the quality of these bullets. How can that be? Poor quality control? Difference standards of acceptance by the reloader?
Rod, I think it's a case of poor quality control. This was about two years ago so maybe things have improved but I won't be giving them another chance. Too many good casters out there.
Bronson7

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Rod, I think it's a case of poor quality control. This was about two years ago so maybe things have improved but I won't be giving them another chance. Too many good casters out there.
Bronson7
Maybe Magnus was a good caster, had a patch of bad luck when you tried them out, and has since recovered? Maybe your current local caster is good now, but had a run of bad luck in the past or is due for one in the future due to some unforeseen circumstance, ahhh, who cares, right?

Even Oregon Trail has gotten a few bad reviews recently with people complaining about lube problems and such. It sure ain't going to stop me from buying them, unless I have a problem with their product and the problem doesn't get addressed to my satisfaction.

There are far too many people here and at other forums that seem to put too much stock in an online "review". These are bullets. Place a $20-30 order and try them out. That's about the best advice anyone can give, or take. If they work for "you", great. If they don't, then nothing ventured, nothing gained. I'd probably take a chance on the 4,000 bullet deal, but might try to work the price down a bit more. You should be able to tell by opening up one box and examining them whether they are half way decent or not.

Imagine how much simpler life would be for all of us if Dillon made bullets, guns, magazines, accessories, even cars, houses, women (oh my!)...

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Imagine how much simpler life would be for all of us if Dillon made bullets, guns, magazines, accessories, even cars, houses, women (oh my!)...
I may get this thread shut down for getting off topic, but I just cant resist. :)

Wow, what a thought......order a wife from Dillon's. Now that would really test their customer service.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Dillon introduces the STEPFORD WIVES. complete with lifetime warranty and occasional upgrades. Put me down for one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've reloaded thousands of Magnus cast and swaged .45 LSWC to shoot in NRA Conventional Pistol matches. I know a number of competitors that use them. All good news, good service and great accuracy.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
TomossF, you have revived a thread that has been dead for over 5 years. The original poster has not visited this site since 2011. They will not receive the benefit of your informational post.

Reviving threads that have been dormant for over a couple of month is against the Forum rules. Please refrain from doing this.

Thread closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.