1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start a new job that will involve me carrying a sidearm. The issue gun is a Sigarms Sig Pro SP2340 in .40 S&W. Has anybody had any experience with gun? How is it as far as accuracy, reliability, etc? I will also be able to qualify with a personal gun (1911) and carry it :) but I was wondering what to expect with the duty gun...

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I don't have the 40, but I have one in 357 Sig. For me it has been utterly reliable, and it is pretty accurate once you get used to the dot and post sighting system. It's accuracy is similar to my Walther P99 in 40. One nice thing about the "plastic" guns that people seem to hate--you don't have to worry about them as much, and it feels lighter fully loaded than my 1911 feels empty. Not a bad pistol at all--you might want to give it a try and spare your own pistol. Of course, the benefit of using your own is being used to it and theoretically more proficient.

Oh, more on accuracy--my Springfield is more accurate than my Sig probably, but in rapid firing instances its probably somewhat moot--the Sig is plenty accurate enough.

·
Registered
377 Posts
A buddy of mine has one. Shot ok at first. Developed a failure to always go back into battery. We poked and prodded it for a while with no effect. He finally shipped it back to SIG. They discovered what we suspected. The slide was out of spec. Fixed it for free.
Since then it has gobbled everything that we tried.

Overall, good gun at a reasonable price.

Steelheart

·
Registered
378 Posts
I do not own that specific weapon but I have fired a friends once in .40 S&W. Flawless. Fired every time without any failures. Dead on accurate right out of the box. The next time I buy a handgun, it'll either be a SIG or a Walther, both of which are excellent weapons IMO.

BTW, what is the relationship with S&W and Walther? Does one own the other? I saw a ad for a S&W firearm that also had the Walther logo on the weapon. Is the difference between a S&W and Walther like Chevy and GM, basically the same product, just a different name on the side?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've carried one for over 2 years and thus far I've been fairly happy with it. I've put a couple thousands rounds through it with only a few hiccups. As far as accuracy goes, it ain't a bullesye gun, but combat accurate.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yakko77 said:

BTW, what is the relationship with S&W and Walther? Does one own the other? I saw a ad for a S&W firearm that also had the Walther logo on the weapon. Is the difference between a S&W and Walther like Chevy and GM, basically the same product, just a different name on the side?
Well, the P99 and SW99 are basically the same gun w/ a few cosmetic changes (the S&W has a rounded trigger guard, the walther has a flat front, etc). Walther and S&W teamed up to make the gun--Walther makes most of the gun, and I think S&W makes the slides and possibly some other components on the smith version. Some people will claim the smith's have problems with the mag's too, and that the walther's are great but the smith's are crap. I don't know if there is any truth to this or just anti-Smith sentiment. I do know that my Walther has been completely reliable, is fairly accurate, and is extremely easy to take down with no tools for cleaning (MUCH easier than my 1911 or the Sig Pro (I guess some other sig's are easier)).

Oh, I believe Smith services Walther's in the US now.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have a 2340 in 40sw. I changed out the fire control unit and made it dao(no decocker). This is the best double action pull of any semi auto I have. It is the issue weapon here in Richmond,Va.

·
Registered
367 Posts
For more info, check out SIG Forum - you'll get mostly unbiased opinions there, because even though they love their SIGs, the Pro was slow to catch on and had plenty of folks willing to step up and find fault with it. Overall, it seems to be a great gun. Also might want to check out Ken Lunde's Sig Pro FAQ.

I don't own one, but I've thought about getting one several times. If I go "plastic", it'll either be the SIG Pro or (more likely) a Walther P99. It could happen.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I own or have owned Sig 220, 225 and have shot the 228 quite a bit. I have also shot the 2340 often. I would rate it behind the other models mentioned. I don't know if its the .40 cal round or the plastic frame but I don't think its up to the quality of the others as far as "feel" goes. That said none of the above firearms have malfunctioned. Guess its just personal preference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have the SigPro 2009 9mm and it is a shooter. It has been perfect so far. I like the feel of the pebbled grip and the accuracy is amazing. Nice, underrated, underappreciated crunchenticker.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I had one and sold it. It had a sharp recoil in .40 and there was nothing really special about it. Accuracy was also not as good as a 226. The Pro turned me off to polymer guns. I was glad to get rid of it and buy another 226. If you want a nice plastic gun buy a USP. I did and it is way better than the Pro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.