1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I don't have the 40, but I have one in 357 Sig. For me it has been utterly reliable, and it is pretty accurate once you get used to the dot and post sighting system. It's accuracy is similar to my Walther P99 in 40. One nice thing about the "plastic" guns that people seem to hate--you don't have to worry about them as much, and it feels lighter fully loaded than my 1911 feels empty. Not a bad pistol at all--you might want to give it a try and spare your own pistol. Of course, the benefit of using your own is being used to it and theoretically more proficient.

Oh, more on accuracy--my Springfield is more accurate than my Sig probably, but in rapid firing instances its probably somewhat moot--the Sig is plenty accurate enough.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Yakko77 said:

BTW, what is the relationship with S&W and Walther? Does one own the other? I saw a ad for a S&W firearm that also had the Walther logo on the weapon. Is the difference between a S&W and Walther like Chevy and GM, basically the same product, just a different name on the side?
Well, the P99 and SW99 are basically the same gun w/ a few cosmetic changes (the S&W has a rounded trigger guard, the walther has a flat front, etc). Walther and S&W teamed up to make the gun--Walther makes most of the gun, and I think S&W makes the slides and possibly some other components on the smith version. Some people will claim the smith's have problems with the mag's too, and that the walther's are great but the smith's are crap. I don't know if there is any truth to this or just anti-Smith sentiment. I do know that my Walther has been completely reliable, is fairly accurate, and is extremely easy to take down with no tools for cleaning (MUCH easier than my 1911 or the Sig Pro (I guess some other sig's are easier)).

Oh, I believe Smith services Walther's in the US now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts