1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any simple to maintain guns other than Glocks?

Meaning, are their any guns out there other than Glocks that are as idiot proof? Simple to maintain, hard to get to rust, easy to shoot, work reliably, etc. Looking for something a bit more "beatable" than my 1911. Something to throw in the glove box, drop on the floor, sweat on and forget about, forget to clean for a month, fire, fire, fire, and fire some more, etc.

My buddy had a Glock and loved it but I just didn't like how it felt in my hand. Like holding a brick, too angular. That's what I love about my 1911 but at the same time I love it so much I can't just abuse the crap out of it and not care.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I get your point, but a more abuseable gun. There's a guy at the local gun range that hasn't done anything other than wipe his Glock down to keep his hands from getting dirty with over 8,000 rounds through it. I'm talking that kind of reliability.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Why do you want to be an idiot?

I don't understand this post.
If you want to keep a firearm, why would you not want to properly maintain it?
Or learn how to use it safely and correctly?
Every firearm is engineered with different goals in mind. The 1911 was designed to satisfy one set of specifications, and the Glock was designed to satisfy another. In terms of "idiotproof", the 1911 was designed to withstand substantial abuse from foreign matter entering the mechanism and still function. Does that mean you should never clean it? No.
It was designed to be a safe and learnable platform for the average recruit, with numerous (read redundant) safety features to prevent AD. Does that mean you don't need to learn how to operate its control mechanisms and use it safely? No.

If you want an idiot proof handgun, I would suggest you purchase one that shoots darts with suction cups on the end. I would also respectfully recommend that you not purchase a lawnmower, chainsaw, any kind of powertool, automobile, motorcycle, rollerblades, shaving device, hairdryer, or edged instruments. They are intended for people who are willing to take responsibility for their actions and invest the time required to learn how to use them properly and safely.

One last question: How long have you been a Democrat?

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
My opinion of Glocks is that they're anything BUT idiot-proof. I certainly wouldn't want to give an idiot something that has no manual safety yet will fire just from a short tug of the trigger.

If you're talking about the ability to survive lack of maintanence, yes Glocks are very good at that. So are the HK USP/P2000 pistols, but given their expense you might be reluctant to beat one of those around too much. If you want something cheap yet reliable, maybe try a used Taurus PT-92. They are every bit as reliable as a Beretta and seem to tolerate no lubrication about as well as any firearm can. Otherwise, why not find a junker 1911 like a used Sistema? Being made to original tolerances it'll be somewhat loose and able to survive grit and grime just as well as the US military-issue ones could.

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
mark1174 said:
One last question: How long have you been a Democrat?
Let's keep the conversation civil, if you don't mind. AJMB wasn't asking for this kind of response.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
dsk, do me a favor and delete this post.

I'm done here for a while.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
For idiot proof - how about a revolver? A S&W 686 is about as fool proof as you can get, and still bet your bacon on.

Just my 2¢

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
AJMBLAZER don't run off. I understand exactly where you are coming from. I too could not stand to just throw my Colt's under the seat or where ever. So I bought one Glock to do just that. Not my favorite gun by a long shot but I couldn't care any less if it gets scratched up, abused, etc. I do clean it and wipe it down at the end of the day and make sure it is ready to go. No sense in tempting Murphy.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Nice reply there Mark, way to put words in someones mouth. All he's asking for is advice on a beater gun, how does that imply he's irresponsible, not well trained or a dem? Here's some advice: think twice post once. if the original poster is still around I'll give my 2 cents...

The Walther P-99, grip angle more like a 1911, fits the hand great, no manual safety DA/SA trigger w/decock. It was actually designed in part by one of the designers of Glock too. Also has the same tennifer finish as Glocks. Anyways, great gun, super reliable much more comfortable for those used to 1911s IMO. Check one out, I couldn't be happier with mine (well, unless I could get a SA only trigger :)) It may be a bit spendy for a beater though.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Eh, not running off, just tired of some of the "holier than though" attitudes on here. I own a RIA and shoot Wolf so I get a lot of it.

I think I just might look at a revolver. Friend of mine has a nice Taurus she loves.

Yeah, I want something to use as a "truck" and woods gun. Something I can take on wheeling trips and not have to find a moment to go detail clean when the entire interior and exterior of my truck is coated in dust and grime. My 1911's just too purty and nice to beat like this. I need something that will be reliable even if I haven't cleaned it religiously inside and out and doesn't mind getting rubbed up against Mag Lites, wrenches, fire extinguishers, torque wrenches, and all the other crap in my truck.

I was in the Marines for 4 years. After all the BS with M16's I appreciate guns that work correctly all the time. Hence my AK.

What's the deal with the Rugers? I've got my dad's 10/22 and Mark II and I'm pretty sure neither has been detail stripped. They work great all the time aside from mag issues related to old age and me never buying new ones.

Thanks to some of you for being reasonable.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Nothing wrong with a revolver. They make great beater guns. I use the Glock when I go out wood cutting, fishing, and just out in the woods sort of stuff. I have a cheap Fobus plastic holster and that's good enough for it. When I know I will carry CCW without having to take the gun off it is always one of the Colt's and Sparks or Alessi holster. There is a place for beater guns.

·
Registered
398 Posts
For toss around or truck gun, its hard to beat a revolver. I've seen some DAO Ruger GP-100's at good prices, they might be police trade ins or something. For something in an auto, maybe a Ruger P series, they can be had pretty cheap. Or, maybe a S&W sigma, I've seen them pretty cheap too.

Oh, and I know some 1911 snobs that think if you don't spend $1000 or more on a gun it can't be any good. ( Their names are usually well below mine on the score sheets.)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, we all know that there is NO gun truly dumb people can operate safely...but that's not the intended meaning of this question.
A gun that is what you're deffinition of "idiot proof" I think would be any good revolver. The gun that I mistreat and neglect (I wonder if there is some sort of shelter for abused guns:scratch:?) is an old S&W revolver. Its really a good gun, used when I got it, has extensive rust from the previous owner (was kept in a basement for like 20 years). Despite not being pretty or pampered this gun has never failed to fire when I pulled the trigger. It is about as fool proof a gun that I can imagine.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Better Glock

Have you looked at Springfield XD's yet? They have a 1911 grip angle, grip safety and Glock style trigger safety but a hell of a lot better trigger than Glocks. Usually cheaper by almost $100 also. If you haven't shot one yet I would recommend it before buying a Glock.

Chris

·
Administrator
13,295 Posts
Agreed . Thousands of LE trade-in revolvers are turning up . Find one of the stainless fixed sight S&W M-64 , 65 , 681's or GP100's that are turning up . Hard to beat a good revolver for simplicity and reliability .

I just picked up an excellent 681 marked with OSP crest for a song .

However , I can't recommend ignoring routine maintainance of any firearm , beater or not . It takes just a few minutes . Cheap insurance .

·
Administrator
73,398 Posts
You said you already have an RIA, so why not just use that???

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Eh, history and the fact that it's my first pistol. That and it's too nice to me. Goes bang every time and makes me not want any of the expensive 1911's. At this rate the only other 1911's I'll ever buy will be genuine surplus 1911's for the pure history of them.

Sorry, I'm a history buff, I ramble sometimes.

Can anyone recommend good places to find surplus revolvers? Our selection up here is limited to MCSports that has good prices on new guns and the occasional consignment/trade in, Gander Mountain that rips you off and doesn't use lube, and lots of little stores that often have junk and overpriced stuff.

I've been looking at my old Shotgun News, I'm thinking 4" barrel or so and .38 or .357 Mag perhaps.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Check out www.gunbroker.com. You have to check the seller's reputation, and have an FFL dealer lined up, ready to receive the gun and transfer it to you. Just remember - Let the buyer beware.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts