1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a full size 1911 in 9mm for range use. The double stack guns like the Para P18-9 are too big for my hands, so I want a single stack. I see the Springfield 9mm Target model sells for ~750, which is right what I want to spend.

Is this gun reliable? Accurate? I am not wanting to spend much on it after the purchase except maybe some trigger work and thin grips (if not already equipped).

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had to go down to a 10 pound recoil spring to get the slide to lock back and prevent a few stovepipe jams.
Now it's broken in nicely and running 100% after about 500 rounds.
To me, it is the ultimate range gun. I've been getting the best accuracy of any pistol I've ever owned.
Without the firing pin safety of other brands, the trigger pull is exelent.
So far Blazer 115 fmj's shoot better than almost anything else which is nice on the budget. The Metalform mags are great.
Today I did a little informal plinking on the 100 yard berm with great satisfaction.
Early on I ran some Corbon 115 +p jhp's. Four pierced primers and four completly flattened primers. No more Corbon.
Maybe someday a .38 super barrel might be fun.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have one that has no 'issues'. It shoots any ammo I care to use, so far. I have a standard 14# spring and it works fine. In fact I was at the range with it last night. I did change the sights to Dawson fiber optic sights. However, that was due to my vision not that the original sights didn't work.

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
every now and then..one will need some tweaking..and usually it is mags or springs...getting a 1911 to feed that little 9mm round can every now and then be challenging, but not impossible..

the one I had, fed everything and shot really well..a really fun gun..was able to get the trigger just under 2#.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
front sights

threerounds,
is it very hard to change the front sights on a 9mm sa. i would like to use the
fiber optic also. does it help to see the front post better? i have a problem at times with the sights on my 9 due to my eyes.other than that i had to tweak my extractor and now i have no jams.

·
Registered
294 Posts
rhino465 said:
Full size Springfield Armory 9mm guns come with a 9 lb. recoil spring.
When I called Springfield they told me the stock spring for my 9mm was 14lb. I bought the gun used and wanted to know exactly what spring was in it so if I wanted to try changes I had a known starting point. The 14lb spring works perfectly for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
cobber said:
threerounds,
is it very hard to change the front sights on a 9mm sa. i would like to use the
fiber optic also. does it help to see the front post better? i have a problem at times with the sights on my 9 due to my eyes.other than that i had to tweak my extractor and now i have no jams.
To tell you the truth I did not change it myself, I took it to a gunsmith. However, I don't think it was much of a job as charge was about $20.00. It really does help me see the front sight better...I use the red fiber optic. I have tried the green but it was hard for me to see sometimes when trying to aquire the target quickly. I attached a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've had a Loaded SS 9mm for several years now. It's been a great gun. It shot good and was very reliable straight out of the box.
There's been a little work done to it but, not because it needed it.
I had the front strap checkered, added a S&A magwell, trigger job, reshaped the thumb safety, beadblasted the entire gun to give it a matte finish, MMC adjustable rear sight, Dawson FO front sight, and most recently a Nowlin match barrel.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have had 2 of them (1 with Novaks and 1 with Bomar - style sights), and the only issue I have dealt with is a fairly stiff out of the box trigger.

It sounds like you are getting trigger work done, like I did (my pull is down to about 2.5 lbs), so you should have a great gun.

I agree with Jackhammer that it is a consummate range gun.

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i also have two. one with fixed sights and target sights. my target sight gun came in with a slide to frame fit that was just too tight. had S A service deal with it and they did excellant work. came back tight but smooth. i had a quick trigger job (fluff and buff) on both to bring them in at 3.5 pounds. only other change was to slap a mag well on the fixed sight gun.

both guns have now gone through 1000's of rounds each without a hitch. both a fine shooters, both accurate, and the target sighted one is very accurate with those sights on it. they are just great fun to handle and shoot.

they also look great and the 1911 in 9mm gets a bit of attention from other shooters at the range, particularly when they see how well they shoot.

enjoy.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
877 Posts
threerounds said:
When I called Springfield they told me the stock spring for my 9mm was 14lb. I bought the gun used and wanted to know exactly what spring was in it so if I wanted to try changes I had a known starting point. The 14lb spring works perfectly for me.

Your gun may work great with a 14 lb. spring. That's not what comes with them from the factory though, at least in the full size guns. The Compact may be a 14 lb, but I have no information in that regard.

Here is the e-mail I received from SA confirming the 9 lb. recoil spring. In addition, I replaced the original after about 7500 rounds with a 9 lb. Wolff recoil spring and it's exactly the same as the original.

To:
Subject: RE: 1911A1 9mm pistol spring question
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:36:20 -0500

The full sized 9mm 1911 pistols use a 9lb recoil spring.

Thank You,

Lexi
Customer Service
Springfield, Inc.
420 W. Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254
[email protected]
1-800-680-6866

·
Registered
294 Posts
rhino465 said:
Your gun may work great with a 14 lb. spring. That's not what comes with them from the factory though, at least in the full size guns. The Compact may be a 14 lb, but I have no information in that regard.

Here is the e-mail I received from SA confirming the 9 lb. recoil spring. In addition, I replaced the original after about 7500 rounds with a 9 lb. Wolff recoil spring and it's exactly the same as the original.
As I said I bought the gun used and wanted to have a known part in the gun so I called Springfield for the rating of the stock recoil spring in a full size 1911 9mm. The lady I spoke to told me 14lb. If she had told me 9lb spring, 14lb spring or a 98lb spring that is what I would have bought as I thought I was getting correct information. When the 14lb worked flawlessly I did not question the information I had received...now you have me wondering and so I must start over. I'm going to try a 9lb spring and see how it works. But, I am not going to throw away my 14 lb spring just yet.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I say, if it's not broken, don't fix it. You may have a reduced power mainspring, so the combination of the two may be perfect for your gun. A little experimentation won't hurt, but at least you know what works for sure in your own gun.

I was just sharing what they told me and what came in my gun. I'm actually thinking of going up to 10 or 12 lbs to see what happens.

I will say that with the 9 lb recoil spring, it feels like shooting a .22.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Every gun should be fitted with the a certain #lb spring, depending on what ammo you are shooting and more importantly "how it feels" to you. What one shooter might like in his gun, might not feel good to other.
14lb is a good starting point but stick to one brand of 9mm ammo, that you like in regards to price, accuracy and availability. Sight in your gun and see what works best for you, with spring rates. Is the gun sluggish or is it too fast in unlocking.
Dont settle for what the factory recommends, experiment with ammo, springs and see what works best for you.

·
Registered
781 Posts
rhino465 said:
Full size Springfield Armory 9mm guns come with a 9 lb. recoil spring.
I don't think mine was 9 pounds, but it should have been.
There was a clear progression with the stock spring barely ejecting rounds, if at all, the Wolff 12 pounder worked better, the 10 pounder is juuust right!

·
Registered
781 Posts
I wonder if SA has changed the spec's from 14 to 9, sounds like some people there have 14 on their spec sheets, and others have 9.
My Wolff catalog lists 14 as the standard for 9mm and .38 super 1911's.
10 or 9 is clearly the way to go.
P.S. Anyone else have trouble with +P (Corbon) ammo?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.