1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I love my Kimber 45, I was looking at different 9MM's at my local gun shop and noticed a Sig P228 for $575. In the past Sigs seem to be in the $700 range. I figured it was worth a look. The grip was awesome, this sights very nice, and the balance was fine.

Has anyone had expirence with Sigs?

Is $575 a good price for the P228?

·
Administrator
72,130 Posts
Does it come with a pre-ban hi-cap mag? If so and the gun is in excellent shape then the price is OK. The SIG P228 is the favorite of many gunwriters and LEOs, so it is an excellent choice (aside from it being a 9mm
)

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Reasonableness of price depends upon the location you're in, whether the gun is new or not, and if it comes with hi-caps. It's a great price here in San Francisco.

SIGs are good guns. I have 3 and they all have been reliable and accurate. The DA on 2 were poor out-of-the box, but they improved greatly after about 500 rounds. No complaints with the SA.

Personally, I'd suggest getting either a P229 in 40 or 357, or a P220 in 45. The P229 because it's the same size as the P228 and you can also shoot 9mm if you want (need a Barstow conversion barrel), and the P220 because, well, it's a 45.

Phil

·
Registered
871 Posts
Joe, you can still buy 18rd mags for it too!

I have a P228 and I love it. It's a great sidearm. I wouldn't recommend it for a carry pistol, unless you don't mind the weight. (It's very blocky and heavy for my taste. E.G. my 1911 4" Kimber weighs about half - fully loaded.) For that reason, it's rather hard to conceal...

I only have it because I can shoot lights out with it AND because I have 3, 18rd mags for it. True, it's 9mm, but you've got love that shot capacity, in such a small weapon. I have a Galco high-ride holster which is a perfect fit.

So, my its only bad points: weight, 9mm only

(Lots of pluses though!)

Is that $575 new? That's a little steep - you can find them used but NIB for around $500 - depending on where you live.

-Nick

[This message has been edited by nickcarr (edited 10-14-2001).]

·
Registered
332 Posts
great, reliable guns. only shot the leo issued 225, but i could feel the quality just by holding it. barely any recoil. i prefer the 1911 grip though. sounds like the goin rate for those things. is it used? hopefully you're one of the luckies that gets the hi caps. good luck and don't forget that range report.

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Administrator
72,130 Posts
Originally posted by nickcarr:
I only have it because I can shoot lights out with it
So, YOU'RE the one running around at night knocking out the street lights around here?

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The onle SIG I want is out of my financial reach, at least for now; a 210.

I had a 239 9mm. Reliable, reasonably compact and of course well made. But it felt top heavy, I didn't like the grip backstrap contour or the long trigger reset.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I presently own three Sigs. One 229 .40, one 229 .357, and just got a new 239 .40. All are fantastic guns. Extremely reliable. I carry the 229 .40. They all will shoot any ammo available and are very high quality pistols.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You did fine. Prior to the preban magazine fiasco, Sigs were going for considerably (non dealer/non LE) higher prices than that. It is the best of the type: double action/single action.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are looking for a carry gun in 9mm you might look at the 239. I have one and its a great gun. Very easy to carry, Shoots any thing I put in it. You can get some 10 round clips for it but thay stick out the bottom a little. Was made as a ccw gun from start. Stick a set of hoge on it and love at first grip...

[This message has been edited by sig_in_tx (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 228 for $525, used, with two 13 round mags. It was previously owned by a Sig Armorer who did a bit of tweaking on the trigger.

The ONLY reason I bought it was because I went to 3 different gunshops and they were out of .45 ammo (right around Sept. 14th). They had a ton of 9 mm though, so I figured what the heck - there's room for one more somewhere.

I agree with whoever it was (sorry, I don't remember the poster's name) about the bulk being a bit much for carrying. I don't mind the weight so much as the thickness due to the doublestack mag. Still, I get 14 rounds of 9 mm as opposed to 8 rounds of .45 in my Kimber Compact. (The Kimber is Stainless/Stainless, so it's a bit heavier than the 4" poly/Aluminum Ultras).

I don't think you'd do wrong by getting it for $575 (new) (or used with a couple of hi-cap mags). You can get used hi-cap mags for about $80.00 each in NC.

Patrick

·
Registered
17 Posts
I carry a P226 in 9mm in a Blade-tech IWB holster. It is an excellent weapon.. very accurate, fits my hand very well, I shoot left-handed and can still work all the controls with my firing hand, and it shoots any type of ammo I put thru it. You can still find new (pre-ban)15rd magazines for the 226 for about $50.00 or so if you look for em. The added weight isn`t that much of a bother with a good belt and holster combo, and I can wear it and hide it rather easily, I`m 6`1" 200lbs and my girlfriend doesn`t know I have it most of the time. I sometimes carry a P239 in 9mm also.. as either a back-up or my primary when I only have a t-shirt on.. it`s just as reliable as my 226.

The company I work for is doing training for a large corporation`s Executive Protection unit. I am the AI in the firearms portion of this training. The company has bought and is issuing Sig P229s in 9mm to each officer. In the last 6 weeks we have fired just over 80,000 rounds of ammo thru these pistols, 10,000 last week alone with 8 shooters in 3 days. Aside from the occasional limp wristed shooter or inverted primer (we are using factory reloaded ammo) we have yet to have any type of major malfunction. I should clarify that.. they have 8 pistols for use with the class.. so each class uses the same pistols over and over, they aren`t issued their own pistol until they pass the class.

My partner also carrys a Sig P226, he has since 1986, and it has well over 500,000 rounds thru it. He has sent it back to Sig for a set of new rails after about 300,000, and he changes the springs every 5000 or so. I sent it to Birdsong to get Black-T coated this spring... it`s just like a new pistol all over again.

CS#158

[This message has been edited by ChandlerSniper158 (edited 10-15-2001).]

·
Registered
15 Posts
SIGs are excellent guns! 226 really fits my hands. I have been shooting 226's for about 20 yrs, and have had no failures due to the gun or magazines (about 5 due to reloads). Mainly 9mm, but 357 SIG recently.

I wish I could say the same about my new Kimber - it is a great gun, but I have had a handful of failures in only the first month!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like LAK I am a great admirer of the 210 9mm or not. Its modular design being single action by nature is simple aand reliable.It may be carried cocked and locked. I may even own one someday. The 220 is a .45, about the same size of the commander. Its trigger can be learned even by the 1911 addit. Be aware of the muzzle flip due to the higher bore axis. I am looking forward to the SS 220 and the new SS nine double stack modle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
SIG's are nice guns, indeed. Although I really prefer a SA pistol (P35, 1911, or usp in V9), I own a P229 in 40/357 and a P239 in 9mm. Both shoot extremely well and are more accurate than I am. No reliability issues either (about 1k thru the P229 and 500 thru the P239).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Our Department issue weapon is the Sig 229 in .357 SIG, have seen the weapon in action and can testify that the .357 SIG round definitely gets people's attention and causes them to stop shooting at you. Sig weapons possibly have the best track record of "out of the box" factory weapons besides Glock. The only bad thing about the Sig weapons is their initial price, and that the double action trigger pull generally sucks to high heaven. However, they are accurate, and reliable. Our department has utilized the 229 since its inception, in the days when the .357 SIG round was looked on as a 9mm on steroids. However, my personal experience in a gunbattle taught me that the 9mm on steroids and the absolute functionable reliability of the weapon endears it to me (but not as much as my D&L Sports Custom Caspian .45ACP 1911)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the feedback. I purchased that Sig P228 new at $575.00. Excellent German engineering and workmanship. I just returned from the range and can attest to perfect reliability and accuracy after going through 150 rounds of ammo.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts