1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into muzzleloading this year and I'm hooked! There's just something about it I've fallen in love with. Maybe it's working up my own load... Maybe it's knowing I only have 1 shot and I need to make sure it counts. Either way, it's great!

I started off with a Remington Genesis .50 cal but quickly upgraded to a Thompson/Center Encore Endeavor .50 cal. It's a great rifle and is very, very accurate with the load I worked up for it. I shoot 120g of Blackhorn 209, a 250g Barnes T-EZ (with MMP HPH-12 sabot instead of supplied sabot) and use a CCI 209M primer. I generally like to use Federal 209A primers because they're the hottest but they have been hard to find lately.

So who all here muzzleloads?

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle

I've had this .50 cal. rifle for a while now;but,have not shot it yet. (I've been busy). Need to get down to Bass Pro and get some black powder and lead balls. That's all I can shoot in this one. No sabots and such.

Oh,and I learned that those new-fangled primers won't work in it either. I think.

Scopes? Oh,well. Looks like a fine set-up. Very "modern" though. OK,I'd like to shoot one of the
modern front-loaders sometime. Heck I've liked every gun I ever shot. :)

How accurate can you be with that TC? I bet more accurate than most would guess.

Dam,boy! Good thing you don't have to look for brass at that shooting bench!

·
Registered
3 Posts
:rock:Just got in from the woods. I shoot a Savage 10ML using 34 grains of Alliant 2400 smokeless. Same bullet and primer though. It shoots as good as any centerfire I have.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:rock:Just got in from the woods. I shoot a Savage 10ML using 34 grains of Alliant 2400 smokeless. Same bullet and primer though. It shoots as good as any centerfire I have.
Awesome muzzleloader! I want one some day!

·
Registered
3 Posts
:cool:I've had it since the first year they came out. Not a traditional muzzleloader by any stretch but I don't like spending lots of time cleaning up after shooting. Did that long ago and don't miss it. This gun never has misfired and is easy to load. All positives in my book:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
If you ain't doing it with a flinter or a cap and ball, you ain't truly doing it.

That said, being out in the woods with anything is better than nothing!

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I've got a 1858 Navy that was give to me.Need to get it checked out before I shoot it.When the hammer hits the nipple the cylinder turns back a little to the left.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
I've got a 1858 Navy that was give to me.Need to get it checked out before I shoot it.When the hammer hits the nipple the cylinder turns back a little to the left.
Definitely get that checked! I wouldn't shoot it until that was rectified...and as always take the proper precautions to prevent a chainfire.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Nothing against you modern muzzleloader guys (especially if you're hunting with them) but to me nothing beats the look of a nice Pennsylvania (or Kentucky) long rifle with a flintlock. Second is the Hawken style in either flint or percussion lock.

Years ago my wife bought me a kit and I built a Kentucky rifle...still have it although don't shoot it much at all (none at all for years)

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
I gotta chuckle at those using pyrodex pellets, 209 shotgun primers and 45 cal pistol bullets and calling it "muzzleloading".

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Yeah, bought my first, but not last charcoal burner back in 1979 or so. Still have my original short starter, powder measure, and capper somewhere around here. Currently no front stuffers, but they wonder in and out from time to time. Used to have The Book of Buckskinning, Volumes I-V. So you can count in the crowd that counts anything beyond traditional or traditional oriented guns as not true to the spirit muzzle loading. Sure, the inlines load from the front, but that's only technically correct. I'm a bit of a heretic in that I don't mind BP substitutes such as Triple 7 or the original sub, Pyrodex.

I can understand that form some guys they are a way to extend the hunting season or add a new, different angle to the hunt. Just wish they would maybe create a separate name for the inline crowd so I wouldn't get excited when I see the word Muzzleloader in the title. ;)

It is a nice rig though for that kind of shooting game. Certainly enjoy it and congrats!

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gotta chuckle at those using pyrodex pellets, 209 shotgun primers and 45 cal pistol bullets and calling it "muzzleloading".
It's loaded from the muzzle isn't it? :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, bought my first, but not last charcoal burner back in 1979 or so. Still have my original short starter, powder measure, and capper somewhere around here. Currently no front stuffers, but they wonder in and out from time to time. Used to have The Book of Buckskinning, Volumes I-V. So you can count in the crowd that counts anything beyond traditional or traditional oriented guns as not true to the spirit muzzle loading. Sure, the inlines load from the front, but that's only technically correct. I'm a bit of a heretic in that I don't mind BP substitutes such as Triple 7 or the original sub, Pyrodex.

I can understand that form some guys they are a way to extend the hunting season or add a new, different angle to the hunt. Just wish they would maybe create a separate name for the inline crowd so I wouldn't get excited when I see the word Muzzleloader in the title. ;)

It is a nice rig though for that kind of shooting game. Certainly enjoy it and congrats!
I know a lot of people who do that. But I don't use mine just to extend my season. Especially since here in Zone 6 of SC you can use whatever you want on private land for the entire season. I just love hunting with a muzzleloader more than a rifle. I think it's mainly the challenge of knowing you only have one shot and you can't just rack another one in there in a second. I also really like playing around with powder charges and different weight bullets to see what they'll do. I try to talk to some of my friends who only use muzzleloaders to extend their season and they want nothing to do with load experimentation. They just use pellets and whatever sabot/conical is on the shelf at Wal-Mart. I'm more into it than that. I have never used a pellet.

Flinters and caplocks are cool if that's what you like. I plan to buy a Hawkin capper some day to play with. But when it comes to hunting, you never can tell where the animal will present itself. I would rather have the means to make a semi-long shot and make it a good one than risk making a bad shot with tradintional equipment. I know some will disagree and some are just hard-core traditional guys, but that's just not me. I owe it to the animal to make sure I harvest them as cleanly and quickly as possble. To each their own.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nothin against you guys who wanna play with the really primitive stuff, but heres the deal. I still have to stuff everything down the barrel, and I still only get one shot. Difference is, I KNOW that my rifle is up to the challenge of making a clean kill, with that one shot. I know it is accurate enough at the ranges I want to shoot. My knight Extreme in 45 cal will put 190 grain hollowpoint bullets in a 1 inch group or under at 100 yards with 3 Triple 7 pellets.

I look at it as an extended deer season, Im not lookin to run around and be nostalgic. I use the best weapon I can afford that is legal for the game Im after. Same reason i use a compound bow during the Archery season. It may not be a plain stick with a string on it, but it still requires me to pull a string back and put an arrow in the kill zone. Each to their own.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I know a lot of people who do that. But I don't use mine just to extend my season. Especially since here in Zone 6 of SC you can use whatever you want on private land for the entire season. I just love hunting with a muzzleloader more than a rifle. I think it's mainly the challenge of knowing you only have one shot and you can't just rack another one in there in a second. I also really like playing around with powder charges and different weight bullets to see what they'll do. I try to talk to some of my friends who only use muzzleloaders to extend their season and they want nothing to do with load experimentation. They just use pellets and whatever sabot/conical is on the shelf at Wal-Mart. I'm more into it than that. I have never used a pellet.

Flinters and caplocks are cool if that's what you like. I plan to buy a Hawkin capper some day to play with. But when it comes to hunting, you never can tell where the animal will present itself. I would rather have the means to make a semi-long shot and make it a good one than risk making a bad shot with tradintional equipment. I know some will disagree and some are just hard-core traditional guys, but that's just not me. I owe it to the animal to make sure I harvest them as cleanly and quickly as possble. To each their own.
Shoulda read that before I posted. lol I agree.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Just hope everyone enjoys their hunt and is successful(and safe) in claiming the game.

Give thanks to the Great Provider.

Whatever tool is used,use it well;and,enjoy the bounty!

Please,help keep deer off the highway!

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts