1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and if you are, what part of the US are you in, and what equipment are you using? I am here in Mi, and we have a lot of PPC shooters here. More indoors than outdoors, but we get a fair bit of both. What is it like in your neck of the woods?
Tom

·
Registered
572 Posts
tomstark,
I'm here in the Cleveland area. I just use my carry 1911 with a 4# trigger and big fixed sights for auto, and a buddy's SW M14 for the revolver phase. At this point, I just do it for fun. The big NRA regional we have is at Canton-McKinley, and we have a lot of Michigan shooters show up, last year a retired Detroit PD guy won the whole enchilada. PPC(here) has absolutely no interest from young officers. I believe if they opened it up to non-LEOs the sport would benefit.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here in Mich, we have leo and civilian div in ppc, for the out door 1500, indoors everyone is in the same class leo & civilian together. At the out door matches, we have maybe 50 shooters. Indoors we have had as many as 400 at one match, with around 250 probably being a good average.
The detroit cop you mentioned was probably Jeff Renshaw. Great guy. I can shoot within about 4 or 5 points of him indoors on the 600 course. Can't get near him outdoors! Last year I only averaged 1440 outdoors, and this year have not even managed to shoot my last year average! Of course I have been shooting my 550 fps indoor ammo out at 50 yards. I just changed to a load that gives me around 750 or 800 fps, really tightened up the 50 yard groups. Now all I have to do is see if I can keep the brain farts out, and perform up to my potential.
For equipment I use my S&W mod 10 "funny gun." My best indoor competition score with that is 597 42X, with my 1911 45 "wadcutter" gun, my best score is about a 592 with 37X.
Tom

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've been a LEO for several years and into shooting for alot longer than that. I've been looking into joining a private range that among other things has an IDPA and PPC schedule. I've been meaning to stop by and watch the PPC'ers shoot but haven't found the time yet. What is PPC shooting like? By the way I shoot a Sig P220 .45acp, Beretta 92FS 9mm and S&W 6906 9mm along with several others as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greetings Steve!
You ask what PPC is like, I presume you mean what is the course of fire. OK, here goes.
You have two courses, indoors you have a 600, (60 round) course, and outdoors you have a 1500, (150 rounds).
Out doors the course of fire is as follows:
Match 1
Fired from the 7 yard line, 12 rounds in 20 seconds, two handed grip unsupported.

Fired from the 15 yard line, 12 rounds in 20 seconds, two handed grip unsupported.

Match 2
Fired from the 25 yard line, 18 rounds in 90 seconds. 6 rounds kneeling unsupported, 6 rounds standing left-handed from behind the barricade, and 6 rounds standing right-handed from behind the barricade.
(NOTE: Anytime you are shooting from behind a barricade, you must use the barricade for support and cover. )

Match 3
(here is where you tell the men from the boys!)
Fired from the 50 yard line, 24 rounds fired in 2 minutes 45 seconds. 6 rounds sitting, 6 rounds prone, 6 rounds standing left from behind the barricade, and 6 rounds standing right from behind the barricade. (Use the barricade for cover and support.)

Match 4
Fired from the 25 yard line, 24 rounds fired in two stages of 12 rounds in 35 seconds each. All standing unsupported.

Match 5A
Fired from the 7 yard line, 12 rounds in 20 seconds, standing two handed grip unsupported.

Fired from the 25 yard line, 18 rounds in 90 seconds, 6 kneeling unsupported, six standing left-handed from behind the barricade, and 6 standing right-handed from behind the barricade. Again, the barricade must be used for cover and support

Match 5B
Fired from the 50 yard line, 24 rounds in 2 minutes 45 seconds. 6 rounds sitting, 6 rounds prone, 6 rounds standing left-handed from behind the barricade, and 6 rounds standing right-handed from behind the barricade. ( You guessed it, the barricade must be used for cover and support.)

Fired from the 25 yard line, 6 rounds in 12 seconds. Standing two-handed grip unsupported.
Easy, huh? Now for the indoors course, (which is actually match 5A & B at different distances)
first string
Fired from the 7 yard line, 12 rounds in 20 seconds, two handed grip unsupported.

second string
Fired from the 50 foot line, 18 rounds in 90 seconds, 6 kneeling unsupported, six standing left-handed from behind the barricade, and 6 standing right-handed from behind the barricade. Again, the barricade must be used for cover and support

Change to your B target, then
third string
Fired from the 50 foot line, 6 rounds in 12 seconds. Standing two-handed grip unsupported.
fourth string
Fired from the 50 foot line, 24 rounds fired in 2 minutes 45 seconds. 6 rounds sitting, 6 rounds prone, 6 rounds standing left from behind the barricade, and 6 rounds standing right from behind the barricade. (Use the barricade for cover and support.)
That's all there is to it. If you wish to go to www.mpcpa.org (the Michigan Police Combat Pistol Assc.) you can see lots of other info on the matches, and get a feel for what shooters in this area are scoring. Mich has one of the top shooting programs in the US, way more PPC than most other states. If you are ever interested in shooting out this way, let me know. I can always find room for a guest. (Pa is not that far from here). Winter is best, the indoor shooting has LOTS of prizes, mostly guns. Well worth the expense of the match.
Tom

·
Registered
379 Posts
tomstark.. i shoot ppc in mi. im not leo. i got started in it last year. my uncle was kinda big into it at one time and thats how i got involved.
my first match was at taylor. having nothing else at the time i shot my g30 in the ppc match a 528 (cant remember x count) . reloads, but they were 200 gr. hp's. :) i plan on getting an auto specifically for ppc. like an svi or something.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah, I like PPC

I've got a Cheshire & Perez revolver, started as a S&W M14 I think. I've got the Safariland Comp III loaders for it and load my own wadcutters. I don't practise nearly enough but manage to stay in the low Sharpshooter/ high Marksman area.

Just bought a 45 hardball gun that should work for 'distinguished' matches. Not sure about the sights at 50 yards, but that's just a technical problem to work out.

Oh yes, I qualify as a LEO to shoot PPC. But I think it should be opened to all comers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
i think so too. im not l.e.o. and i like to shoot it. if im not mistaken the money goes to the pistol team or pd? heck. a lot of em in the same dept. dont even know what or when the ppc match is! (ive had to call for directions before)

·
Registered
513 Posts
I used to be on my agency's National Team, I hold NRA Distingushed Badge #264, and a California Combat Ass. Dist. Badge as well. In fact, I used to shoot with Archie.
When I moved to AZ in 1987, there were 4-5 matches a year. Now, as far as I know, the only PPC match is at the State Police Games. I traded my PPC gun straight across for a Sharps Rifle - but my names not Quigly!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to shoot PPC, back in the early 80's. I used an out of the box 686, 6"bbl, the same pistol I carried on duty. Thats all I could afford as a rookie cop with a family. I was a good enough shot that I was the #6 shooter on my department pistol team (even with my stock pistol)so I got all the ammo I needed. I got fed up with all the sandbaggers. Now I shoot IDPA and cowboy. I compete for FUN, I think the gamesmen ruin the game for all of us.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Wow, old thread back to life.

I'll be shooting PPC tomorrow night, with a G22C(if they'll let me use a compensated gun).

PPC is a good time.

Dave Williams

·
Registered
87 Posts
I shoot a S&W 686 with a shilen bbl. power custom 4 position sight rib and power custom under lug. All hand fitted by your's truely. I worked the trigger down to 5# on double action the single is a bit hairy. I shoot remington cases, federal primers, and delta precision 148 HBWC over 2.8 grs of win 231. Speed lloaders are safariland comp III. My holster is a Gilmore.
I haven't shot in a while but I'm hoping to get a shoot together for our Police Assoc. when the World Shooting Complex gets up and running.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry been gone for a while

The world shooting complex is going to httpbe in Sparta Illinois. The ATA has aquired some land from one of the local coal mines to build a new 100 range trap field. All this came about when the airport that owned the land, in Ohio, where the Grand American Trap Shoot was held decided to expand a runway and didn't renew the ATA lease. The Grand American usually had around 10,000 spectaters and competitors from across the USA and Europe. For more info go to http://dnr.state.il.us/worldshooting/home.htm

Can't wait till it's complete.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Thanks. I find it interesting that they have Trap, Skeet, and cowboy - no listing for IPSC/IDPA, high power rifle, PPC, etc.

·
Registered
87 Posts
We have quite a few local folks trying to greese the wheels. I know there are IPSC and IDPA matches in Collinsville IL right up the road from me but friends from my old dept. are tired of driving the hour to get there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I know the town is interested in anything that has to do with the complex because of the tourism and "TAX" coming from the place. There's already been a brand new hotel built along with resturaunts and shopping centers. There's also been talk of putting in a four lane hwy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts