1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Not me brother, my bad boy is on my person holstered at all times. Plus you have a very good chance of forgetting the case or loosing it. I also feel that your reaction time is greatly dimminished using one of those. It is not like you can call a time out with the BG so you can unzip the case and pull your gun out, plus that is one of the first things the BG will want if you are held up. Most people I know that carry them (without a gun) just as an organizer keep lots of cash and personal information that one would not usually keep on them just because they have a place to keep it with them now.

Not for me.

CG.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I normally don't carry on my person only in my car. and yes I know that that is not the most "tactical" way to do things.nI spend about 60 hours a week making beer and the rest of my time is spent sleeping or drinking beer so I don't like to carry on my person...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought one of these a couple of months ago for alternative carry. I call it my "Robert Blake" method of carry for obvious reasons. I usually carry in a fannypack. There are times when you want your pistol with you and a fannypack is not appropriate. Neither is a cover garment practical in all cases.

As far as readiness, the first thing I'm looking for in a firefight is an escape route. The fastest draw is not necessarilly going to win the gunfight.

BTW, they want too much for it. I bought mine at the gunshow for $25.00, real leather and quality made.

Jeff

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes - I have one of those except by Galco

Around here I usually carry in a holster but when I'm out running around or on a long car trip I oftentimes use my "Defense Planner". Looks like a day timer (kinda). I usually put it on the dash of my pickup or in the seat next to me for easy deployment btw, I leave mine unzipped most of the time when I'm traveling. Lay it on the table in a restaurant and nobody will even look at it twice.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I guess it depends on your needs and comfort level but personally, I'm with Custom-guy. Between the slower reaction time and the possibility of losing it (or having it stolen) I'd be really hesitant to use one. Heck, I can walk into my kitchen for something and forget what it was I wanted (old age and CRS setting in). :rolleyes:

The very last thing I want is for my weapon to be out there in someone else's hands - I get edgy just leaving it locked in the car when I go in "posted" businesses.
Mac

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Maclean3 said:
I guess it depends on your needs and comfort level but personally, I'm with Custom-guy. Between the slower reaction time and the possibility of losing it (or having it stolen) I'd be really hesitant to use one. Heck, I can walk into my kitchen for something and forget what it was I wanted (old age and CRS setting in). :rolleyes:

The very last thing I want is for my weapon to be out there in someone else's hands - I get edgy just leaving it locked in the car when I go in "posted" businesses.
Mac
Yep, me too! I think "gun" everytime I see one of those things. Besides they really stand out if you are in a pair of old jeans, worn tennis shoes and faded T shirt on a Saturday morning at Walmart carrying an Italian leather planer. It just doesn't look right.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All good reasons for and against. I wouldn't use mine while wearing jeans and tennies. That's what the fanny pack is for. And, while I frequently dress to be able to carry on-body, I can't bring myself to buy my jeans a size larger than they already are. As far as spotting them yelling "gun!" to the public, I think those of us that carry are the only ones that really see that. I do know that, when I use the dayplanner, I always have a part of my mind on the gun and where it is. You don't want to be leaving one of these behind.....

Jeff

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've got one of the Daytimer-style holster/carriers that I originally purchased (from a different company) to carry my 1911 to and from work before I got my CWP. It comfortably holds the 1911 and an extra magazine. I wouldn't want to depend on one for day-to-day packing, but it does have its own utility under certain circumstances.

·
Registered
344 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am sorry but it kinda cracks me up that the men that pack purses think a guy with a day timer screams out GUN!!! I mean come on why ells would a man be carrying one of those fanny packs if he was not packing :biglaugh: thanks for the replys everyone....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Tony P said:
I am sorry but it kinda cracks me up that the men that pack purses think a guy with a day timer screams out GUN!!! I mean come on why ells would a man be carrying one of those fanny packs if he was not packing :biglaugh: thanks for the replys everyone....
I see them all the time around here...... on tourists at Disneyland. Seriously, they are common enough that they are not noticed much by the non-gun toting public. I don't carry in one of those Desantis specials or the Uncle Mikes packs that are so large they could be called a back pack. My current one came from Target and it works quite well. I have thought about buying a gun-specific model but those have the tell-tale signs like the velcro, overly large pocket, and pull-down zippers that actually do scream gun to others. I've been carryin this way for close to 10 years now without a hitch.

Jeff

1 - 14 of 14 Posts