1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for someone that live close to go to the range with me to shoot my kimber. I dont know if it is me or the gun but at 15yards i am all over the paper. I can not for the love of god group them. If there is any one that wants to go to alpine gun range some time this week i will be glad to pay for your range fee and any food that u want to eat. As long as u are a good shot. I hope to god that it is me and i can learn a thing or to but if it is my pistol i dont know what i will do.

·
Registered
67 Posts
While I am no shooting expert, and not really close to DFW, may I ask what your groupings are like at 7 yards?

When I started regularly shooting again awhile back, I personally found that what appear to only be "very minor" problems at 7 yards are greatly enhanced at 15 yards. For example, I myself was shooting just slightly up in the 10-11 o'clock range from bullseye at 7 yards. They were basically hole on hole. But as soon as I moved to 15 yards, the grouping of course widened and put me up in outer rings a bit.

A friend shoots his Les Baer pretty much dead on, but in a slightly wider grouping. At 15 yards, he might as well have used a shotgun on the paper.

Perhaps you are experiencing something similar. I am not a shooting expert, nor do I play one on TV, so take it for what it maybe worth to you. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I live in North Richland Hills and would be happy to meet you at the range. Unfortunately for me, I have to work both this and next weekend. Weekdays work best for me, and frankly, Alpine doesn't exactly clean my clock. I'd be happy to meet you some weekday (if you're available) and would much rather shoot at Shooting Gallery on 820 and Lancaster.

There is a gunsmith next door and he can adjust the incredibly tight rear sight if we need to tweak it some.

PM me if this works for you.

My ProCDP (Series Two, never had a problem with the Series Two safety) is notoriously accurate, way more so than I am. I also own a CustomCDP that I haven't shot in ages (Series One and no, it's not for sale!) and it's accurate also.

Mike

·
Registered
67 Posts
goober said:
7-8 inch group at 7 yards. Unless i am getting hit in the face from other people's shells.

I passed my CHL class saturday with a almost perfect score. I had 4 shots low on the 15 yard.
IMHO, a 7-8 inch group at 7 yards is pretty big. That's going to greatly increase the further out you go. You could easily have a 2 foot grouping (barring any other factors). With my Kimber, I usually shoot 2-3 inch groupings at 7 yards, and that correlates to about 8 inch groups at 15 yards.

Does your range have shooting vises you can use/borrow? If they do, you could try that and see what happens when you try that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in north Fort Worth. I don't know how late they are open in the evening but I could go if it is after 7pm. I can bring my Kimber Compact and Colt Combat Commander if you want to shoot them for comparison. I haven't shot these two at a range so I don't know what my groupings would be like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.