1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm planning to sell my gun (SW 4516-1 so I can buy Les Baer TRS. Is there any paperwork involved when selling a gun to another person?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
No federal paperwork, state or city required paperwork depends on where you live. Unless your city/county requires a permit to purchase, I think that you will be ok in Colorado to find your buyer and make the deal.

YMMV VWP ONVIAA WEOI CCBS LS/MFT

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Dear flexer, One thing you should get is the name and address of the person you're selling the gun to. The gun may be traceable to you afterwards as the last owner of record. If it should be used in a crime your only alibi may be your ability to tell the police where it went when it left your possession. A friend of mine had this happen when a shotgun he'd sold to a dealer a few years before turned up in a robbery. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
flexer--Take the purchaser to a FFL, and spend the few bucks it takes to have the FBI check him out..It's cheap insurance,and you'll feel better knowing you didn't sell the gun to a BAD GUY..

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You need to see ID for sure. All sales across state lines need to go through an FFL. I'm pretty sure there are federal age restricitions for handgun purchase too. I say go to an FFL and absolve yourself of all responsibility in the transfer. It won't cost you anything but time, buyer pays for the transfer and background check.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jim, I could be wrong, but I thought all firearms sales (whether private or in a business) required a federal transfer form, no? (The form with the full legal name, serial #, make/model of firearms..)

-Nick

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Nick, the federal form, form 4473 is required for sales from licensed dealers only. In most states the sale of firearms between private individuals is not regulated. In Virginia where I live, they have a one handgun purchase law every 31 days, BUT, this does not apply for private purchases. I do agree on getting at least a bill of sale should your friendly ATF or local law enforcement come a knocking asking about your former handgun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your replies. This person is in the military and we are stationed on the same command so I know for sure he's ok. Should I go to FFL and have all required forms filled out? I just want to make sure I'm in compliance to any laws or regulations. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Don't get involved in all of that buracratic nonsense. It is perfectly legal to buy and sell guns with out an FFL as long as it is not done by mail, etc.

If you voluntarily give up your right to buy and sell freely, rest assured, it will soon be taken from you. Use your own judgment. Is the person you are selling to someone that you want to own a gun? That is the strength of America, personel choice and responsibility!

BTW, the BATF surely knows that the current gun registration system is not accurate. Guns are sold everyday.

------------------
"I don't want to use a 2 million dollar bomb to bomb a 10 dollar tent and hit a camel in the ass. . ."

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
For all the handguns I have sold in the past , I make sure that they register it at the local Metro Police station . This way I know they have registered it and it was approved by Metro and I am in the clear as far as the law is concerned . Now for a long gun that never has been registered to me..an old shotgun perhaps...cash and carry but I would still get a name and ID to cover my butt !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts