1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any swat officers here and do you guys shoot hostage targets where you have to bad guy behind the hostige and not to much room to hit him, how far out do you put the targets at the range?

·
Registered
252 Posts
We do hostage drills with pistols,subguns,shotguns and rifles from 0-25 yards and even beyond....we train with paper, pepper-poppers and steel head plates. Probably 95% of the shooting courses we do have at least one hostage/badguy stage.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I worked SWAT for over six years until I rose to the rank of Captain and then I had to give it up. To many other duties and not enough time plus time was catching up and I was getting to old, to jump out of windows and turn left.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

[This message has been edited by 7th Fleet (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
54 Posts
All the time during flow drills (going into rooms). The distance would vary as well. I would set up most of the shoots according to what the team leader wanted for the training day. I would never tell the team the distances involved. I expected them to know where point of aim/impact was at all times and distances. This was with handguns/sub-guns/assault rifles.

We also used Simunition rounds to simulate a real firefight against a real opponent. Now thats educational to be a bad guy and have people come through after you....right after a flash bang/distraction device...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Simunitions are a great training aid...we use them in our handguns and MP5's..we replace the barrel in our handguns and the locking device in the bolts of our subguns..they shoot a plastic projectile with a pink marking substance in it...they are accurate in building/room clearing scenarios...but the accuracy tapers off when we get outside.

·
Registered
252 Posts
by the way i am on a 29 member SWAT team...we do approx 80-120 mhigh risk search warrants a year and 7-10 call-outs(barricaded suspects,hostage rescues,etc.)i was on a pd 3 years prior to getting on our SWAT team, although I had prior tactical experience from the Military...I have been a cop for 6+ years

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if you want to be on swat team, you have to be on the force for a few years and then go threw a swat program and pass?
cc987, It sounds like you guys have alot of work on your hands, how many of those warrants end up into shootings, I wouldn't think too many guys would try anything Swat looks too intimidating!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Most of our search warrants end peacefully with the bad guys in custody. Our last officer involved shooting on a search warrant was almost ten years ago and ended unfortunatly with a dead officer and suspect. Our goal with all of our training and equipment is to prevent needless loss of life.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good physical fitness level..good maksmanship skills..must be able to make sound tactical decisions quickly..we have a physical agility test, a minimum bullseye score..and an oral board...we emphasize 25 yard 30 round bullseye because you use all of your marksmanship skills..we have a minimum of 270 out of a possible 300...most guys shoot in the 280's and up.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
So whats it take to get on swat team?>>>>>>

What you need to do is talk to someone in TACT at your PD and ask them these questions. Each agency has similiar but differing entry requirements. Good luck...7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
We simulate hostage situations with pepper poppers placed almost completely in front of each other, usually out to about 15yards (they are much smaller than a man-sized target) and also by stapling paper targets in such a fashion that they partially cover each other, and shoot out to 25 yds. at times, and our snipers, of course, pratice at much further distance. (100yd. or more)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts