1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in getting a Good .45 revolver,but i dont want a longcolt,i want to use the same ammo as with my colt gov. .45.Any suggestions folks?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Amen on the 625 Smith & Wesson Revolver. My wife has a 625 and it's a honey. Accurate and with very low recoil being built on the large N frame size, it's a very good choice.

With full moon clips you can carry two stacked in each regular .44 speedloader pouch, giving you 30 rounds instantly available on your belt.

This is a favorite of the bowling pin shooters, who say that the revolver has an advantage due to the built in "flywheel effect" of the big cylinder rotating between pins.

A bit heavy, and good holsters are harder to come by than a 1911, but it should last forever in .45ACP chambering.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep

Thanks for the quick responce guys.My mind was kind of leaning that way after reading the Good article in my latest G&W for L.E.,its a great pistol,but is it really that hard to get a Quality holster,even harder than one for my 1911.Im on my 4th try for a good useful rig for my 1911,and i am finding fault with all of them,so i hope the revolver holster wont be as bad.Tahnks again guys.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another vote for the S&W 625. You can either use the moon clips for the standard ACP cases or, if you reload, can purchase rimmed cases for loading individual rounds.

Sorry, but I don't know about holsters since I haven't even bothered looking for one.

·
Registered
554 Posts
well, if you did a survey here or on any other gunboard, I imagine you'd find that most of us have more leather than guns. ;)

revolver holsters are somewhat harder to find these days then they were, but most of the good makers have some. Contact Lou Alessi or Tucker Gun Leather for starters.

45acp. Too great a round to waste on a semi-automatic.:D

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Let me start with I have a 4" S&W M625 Springfield Commemorative and I like it just fine. Another option is a S&W M1917 from either a US or Brazilian contract. I have owned four of the 1917s and they are great. The 1917 will make you feel like "Indiana Jones." Regards, Richard:D

·
Administrator
13,257 Posts
I don't own one , but I'll jump on the 625 band wagon also . Depending on your intended purpose , I lean towards the 625 Mountain Revolver . I really like the 4" light weight barrel . We have sold the 625 since it came out in 1989 . Very good choice !

I do however enjoy 45 acp revolvers . I shoot an M25 and 2 1917's . A Colt and S&W . 45 acp revolvers are a good choice . Also , there is still some fresh PMC 45 Auto Rim ammo out there to be had .

·
Registered
972 Posts
I have a 4" 625 and carry it (occasionally) in a Milt Sparks PMK. This holster will actually conceal the N-Frame under a loose fitting shirt. It doesn't make it any lighter but it will conceal and carry comfortably.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Smith Model 25

You might get lucky and find a used Smith model 25. Essentially the same pistol as the 625 but in blued steel. Gorgeous deep royal bluing, target hammer, trigger, white outline rear and red insert front sight, large target grips. Very sweet trigger. A friend of mine had one to complement his Colt Commander and he loved it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I love my 625. I reload using the auto rim brass, and dispose of any acp rounds that don't function right in my 1911's.

advice-- forget the half moon clips and stick with the full moon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 625 too. If you want a modern wheelgun for shooting 45-Auto, I’d say the 625 or the 25 is the way to go. Find a barrel profile you like then shoot it and shoot it then shoot it some more. As gordo63 mentioned, you can load the gun several ways:

You can use moonclips. They capture the cartridges by the extractor groove and are the most convenient way to manage recharging the cylinder. :rock:

You can use 45Auto-Rim cartridges to operate it like a normal revolver (loose ejected shells and speedloaders). The 45AR brass simply has an unusually thick rim where the extractor groove would be on an ACP case.

The 625 can use 45-ACP without moonclips. You just have to pick (or poke) out the empty cases because the extractor star won’t touch the rimless case. :hrm: Note that wartime cylinder chambers on on the M1917s were bored straight through so this isn’t an option on those guns.

I bought full moon clips ($0.22/each) from La Prade and they are pretty much all I use. They gripped the cases a little bit too tightly for my liking (so do S&W clips) but I probably wouldn’t have had cases falling out of them no matter what brand of brass had. I ground each clip slightly to make loading and unloading the clips easier on my hands and the brass. I use a short length of stainless tubing with a lip on the end to unload the clips. Slide the tube over the case and twist the lip against the clip, the case gets separated from the clip, slides down the tube and out the other end (usually directed into the ammo box). Repeat as necessary.

If you want a 45 single action that is much less modern, get a steel frame Remington 1858 New Army (.44) and a 45acp cartridge conversion cylinder.

Wildcat

·
Registered
870 Posts
jar said:
well, if you did a survey here or on any other gunboard, I imagine you'd find that most of us have more leather than guns. ;)

revolver holsters are somewhat harder to find these days then they were, but most of the good makers have some. Contact Lou Alessi or Tucker Gun Leather for starters.

45acp. Too great a round to waste on a semi-automatic.:D
Speak for yourself!!!:) Buy guns, KILL leather!!;)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I'll echo the 625 recommendation. My first was stolen, and I still miss it, but I got a new one to take its place.

Also, remember, that most if not all N-frame leather will fit a 625 perfectly. Some companies might list a holster for a 29/629, but it would fit a 625 or any other N-frame of the same length just fine. Not all the companies take the time to list every N-frame on the labels.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
511 Posts
Isn't there also a S&W revolver in .45LC? That's what I would be interested in. I have heard, though, that they can sometimes have difficulty extracting, due to the small rim on .45LC.

What is the .45LC model called?

Steve

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I own several S&W 625s in .45 ACP and one in .45 Colt. The .45 ACP versions rule and are the most accurate handguns I own, plus I handload for the .45 Auto-Rim which is very easy to load. I give a vote for the 625 or a model 25 for the reasons the other posters gave.

·
Registered
547 Posts
guy sajer said:
I don't own one , but I'll jump on the 625 band wagon also . Depending on your intended purpose , I lean towards the 625 Mountain Revolver . I really like the 4" light weight barrel . We have sold the 625 since it came out in 1989 . Very good choice !

I do however enjoy 45 acp revolvers . I shoot an M25 and 2 1917's . A Colt and S&W . 45 acp revolvers are a good choice . Also , there is still some fresh PMC 45 Auto Rim ammo out there to be had .
My 625 says model of 1988 on the side. Am I missing something here? :eek:

·
Administrator
13,257 Posts
I'm sure you're right bj . Memory among other things is one of the first things to go . :eek: :)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts