1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know if there are any serious problems with the Ruger doing its job. Apparently the SP101's come with exceptionally heavy triggers? I am looking at the Smith M60-Ruger SP101-Taurus M605 comparison so I would be interested in opinions all around.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I believe the Ruger to be a fine pistol. They are very highly thought of by lots of users.
Unfortunatly, Ruger's just never look/feel right to me. I consider S&W double action revolvers to be the standard by which all others are compared. To my eye the nod for fit, finish, trigger pull, sights, etc. always goes to the Smith. I currently have a 1989 vintage M60 (.38 only) that I am very happy with.
If the politics of S&W bothers you, I am confident that a good used one can be found if you look around a little.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, if I come up on a NICE used Smith I would probably snag it. I'm not a fan of internal locking devices, and Taurus put theirs in the back of the hammer a long time ago. Now Smith is doing an even more evil thing by sticking a lock in the side of the frame. That's why I am taking a glance at the Ruger. Havent held/fired one before. Looks like a brick. Trading up my (dad's) older Taurus M85 for a .357 capable snub. If youre reading this, please contribute your opinion if you know of any "flags" on any of these. I have heard the Taurus 605 has a problem with light strikes, but nothing that cant be remedied.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Ruger is a very well made, HEAVY pistol that can eat a steady diet of full load 357`s all day long. Only problem is that they`re heavier than either the Smith or Taurus. Trigger pull probably won`t be a good as the Smith since Smith`s are justifiably famous for their trigger pull. This could be cleaned up by a competent gunsmith though.
Probably boils down to what you`ll be needing the pistol for. If you`re going to be shooting it often and not carrying it concealed, (so weight wouldn`t be a problem)go with the Ruger. If you`re going to use it as your primary concealed weapon, go with the Smith. (politics aside, if you can)

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
IMHO, I would go stay away from the Taurus/Rossi guns. My model 60 is choice among my many other handguns(except 1911). In my experience, the Brazilian made guns seem to have very poor accuracy especially compared to quality guns like m60 or sp101. Hope this helps. BTW, for carry, I would choose a hammerless model.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
I've owned both a S&W 60 and Taurus 65 before. Both were reliable, but I discovered the chamber/forcing cone dimensions in the Taurus were large enough that the barrel leaded heavily. Shooting FMJ ammo was fine, but I hated using lead SWC in it. The accuracy sucked as well. Aside from that it was OK.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have a sp101 357. 2.1/4". and it was the only one i wanted out of the snubby croud.. There is a nice speech on there website telling how sturdy it was built, and that most of the internal parts are stainless as well.. It looks and feels good, the trigger isn`t bad IMO, and it has smoothed out after some use.. I got mine with a hammer, i wanted the option to cock it.. I couldn`t be happier, it is very handy -Gilmore

------------------
ME,WE!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a SP101 357 and it is a great gun. The trigger is pretty heavy but I am used to shooting a 1911. Also with the stock grips I experienced a lot of hammer bite with heavy 357 loads, this is easily fixed with a pair of hogue grips.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nothin wrong with these guns.I owned an SP101 with 2.25" barrel(stolen).It was a great peice and a favorite.Like some have already mentioned its built like the proverbial "brick $hithouse" and can take more full power abuse than the others,which means its also alittle heavier.I eventually put a Hogue mono grip on it so I could get a full purchase with my hand.The trigger pull seemed fine to me and actually this was a very accurate little gun.The thing you'll need to get used to is the 4-5 foot fireball that comes outta these things when firing full power loads. Enjoy,Byron

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like and own the SP101. It is a heavy gun and will be around long after it's original user has worn out and rusted. It is a permanent piece of property that can be willed to successive generations to come.

The trigger pull can be greatly and easily improved with a Wolff spring kit for under $10.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I too, have an SP101 with the 3" barrel, which I highly recommend over the 2 1/4" one. As others have allready stated it will take full power .357 rounds all day. Mine still has the stock grip, but everybodies hands are different. YMMV.

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

·
Registered
305 Posts
WalterMitty: I was hoping to send you an email, but your address is blocked. Would you send me an email, so I can reply to it?

Thanks,

-- ParaGlock

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I'd cast another vote for the SP101. I've got a 2-1/4 inch model which I've had the hammer bobed, chambers chamfered, trigger smoothed, and reduced spring kit. It's a nice shooter although most of my limited shooting time is spent with a 1911 format pistol. I also installed a tritium front sight which is okay for close range but otherwise corrupts the use of the sights since the front sight is really too tall.

·
Registered
345 Posts
The Sp-101 gets another nod from me. My trigger is real nice. Always was. Will handle heavy loads all day if I can. Very accurate for a 2.25" snubby. Will put five shots easily into the center mass of a B-27 target @ 25yds. At 10yds they all go into the 10 ring.

P

·
0 Posts
I bought a SP101 .357 snub in 93, took it to my gunsmith and had him work on the action, after he was finished, every one that shot it could not believe how nice the trigger was, a very good friend of mine talked me out of it (something I regret doing) and his wife took it from him, it is now her carry piece. If you decide to get one you should be happy. When I bought it it really did not need the action worked on, but at the time I couldn't pass up the opportunity to have it worked on
for a really great price.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I had a Ruger SP 101 2 1/4" that I really liked. Lent it to my sister after hurricane Andrew in 1992 and it was stolen. Still haven't talked to her.

[This message has been edited by FB3 (edited 10-21-2001).]

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a 2-1/4 in. SP-101 that I carry in a Versa-Max 2 holster. The SP-101 is stock except for replacement of the factory grips with Hogue Monogrips. The Monogrips conceal better for me and are a little more comfortable with full house .357s. I really like this gun and have every confidence that it will work first time, every time. The trigger pull was indeed stout but a lot of dry firing has helped.

·
Registered
67 Posts
BrianMajors said:
IMHO, I would go stay away from the Taurus/Rossi guns. My model 60 is choice among my many other handguns(except 1911). In my experience, the Brazilian made guns seem to have very poor accuracy especially compared to quality guns like m60 or sp101. Hope this helps. BTW, for carry, I would choose a hammerless model.

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973
I have to disagree with Taurus accuracy.. My father in-law's .22mag snubbie can drive nails, and looks nice. The build quality seems just fine. I'm a Machinist by trade, so I think I'd be able to notice the obvious defects.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have to agree about the SP101.. but a spring kit in it, and you'll be much happier with the trigger. And it'll take full house magnum loads all day long. Its a nice gun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sp 101

I feel like the last rotation of a broken record. 2 1/4" SP 101 with Hogue grips. Very persuasive with .357 and great practice with .38. Hard to imagine anyone regretting purchase of SP 101.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts