1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing sights on both front and rear on a CDP Pro with 4" barrel.

I put the slide in a vise, and hit the sight hard with a ss punch and hammer.
There is no allen screw holding the rear sight. All I've done so far is dent the crap out of the site. It won't budge. Do these need to be pressed out ?

thx

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,285 Posts
My understanding is that the sights are forced in with a hydraulic press, to discourage tampering with the firing pin block. You may not be able to get it out by pounding on it with a hammer.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I have read of some having to hack saw their old sight in half to relieve pressure enough to get it out. I would recommend calling Kimber about sending in your slide to let them install sights. As long as you aren't changing your POA/POI with your new sights, you should be good to go without having to send the whole pistol, because they won't need to test-fire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried removing mine with no luck. I was told there is a tool but it is quite expensive. Local gunsmith may be able to help you out if he has the tool which would save the time spent shipping to Kimber.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Try a heat gun on it. You may just need to defeat the loctite type substance used to cement it in place. Dove-tailed sights are made to be taken out and replaced. Just not easily. Squirt solvent around the edges of the sight also, trying to get as much as possible underneath.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I have problems removing or just adjusting a sight, I might use some heat with the addition of some penetrating oil. The firearm should be put in a padded vise or at least held tightly on top of a roll of gaffers tape (duct tape). I use the biggest brass punch that will sit firmly on the base of the sight, in fact I have several brass punches that I filed a flat spot on the end so that it sits firmly in the slides dovetail. With someone holding the firearm securely I start with a light hammer and if need be end-up using my 22 ounce hammer if the sight is really stuborn. When it starts to move, you got it licked. Some of Smith & Wessons sights are also pressed in.

Good luck,
Dennis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. I'll try some heat and lube first.

I had this rear site off years ago and I know I didn't put any locktite on it.
Good thing most of us don't have to drift these sights for accuracy.

In case I ship to Kimber will they put in new sights that they don't sell? I was going to try the XS sights, (big dot the i things) to help with my old eyes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the new sight on........it just took a bigger hammer to get the old ones off...:)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
NRA2,
If your gun has night sights, I wouldn't use the hammer and punch method. You'll damage your sights (the tritium vials). I'd send it in to kimber.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As a follow up to my follow up......

I changed both the front and rear sights to the XS big dot with tritium on both the rear and front. I've put three hundred rounds through the gun in the last three days. At the same time I was trying out different Wolf springs and ended up with the std 22lb. My eyes aren't that good and I wear bifocals but these new sights work great!! I can actually see the sight in daylight vs the factory provided mep night sights that came with the pistol. I couldn't see the meps very well in daylight and one of the rear sights had lost it's glow. I know I could've just got them replaced but they were too small for me to see and made me look for the sights vs looking at the target and putting sight on it.

XS dot the i sights are used by the Seals so I tried them out and like them alot. ymmv.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hydraulic Press

My local Kimber dealer told me the same as RickB stated above. They use a hyrdraulic press to install the sights, and with enough pressure that some metal is actually shaved from inside the groove when they do so.

Dunno! Great forum however, and glad to have made my first newbie post!

<Salute!> Ya'all!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts