1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple leather holsters laying around that I've had for a while. They fit the guns, but not very tight. Is there a trick that I could use to tighten them a little.

If I insert the pistol, and turn it upside down, it will fall out. I like it to be a lot tighter than that.

I thought about dipping them in water........????

· Registered
2,038 Posts
Unless you carry your holstered gun around in your hand, I wouldn't worry too much how it grips the weapon outside of where it's supposed to be mounted. What matters most is how well it grips the gun when secured in place on the body. Just about all of my personal IWB holsters will dump the gun if I turn it upside down in my hand. No so when I have it in place with my belt secured over top. That's the way I like them.

As far as tightening goes, any measure you take will probably be temporary at best. A holster that is tightened by shrinking will usually resort to loosening back up in short order. Someone might be able to run a tightening stitch around the outline of the gun, but chances are, it won't look very good. Someone might have a better suggestion, but that's all I got. Good luck!

T

· Premium Member
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points, Tony.

I just like things a bit tighter. All of my Sparks holsters are still snug after many years. The ones that are loose are made from thinner leather, and are of lesser quality.

I guess I really shouldn't be overly concerned, since they get little use.

· Registered
80 Posts
Here is something you can try, but if you put it in the wrong place-don't blame me. I had a holster once that I really liked. (before I started making my own). Go to Home Depot, buy a 3-pack of 6-32 Tee nuts (you will only use one). A pkg of 6-32 stainless pan or flat head screws 5/8" long, a pack of # 6 stainless finish washers and a 1/2" x 9/16" dia. rubber stopper. Cut the rubber stopper about 5/8" long. On the holster find where you would have room to cram the rubber stopper between the botton of the barrel or trigger guard.You will have to experiment. When you find that spot-you will have to drill/grind a hole (use a 1/8" dia grout bit for a dremel-use in drill if no dremel) through the leather, the center of the rubber stopper. Then from the backside of the holster insert/press the tee nuts barbs into the leather. Insert the screw with the washer from the front and tighten untill it holds your gun. Hope this helps. Many high end holsters have this type device incorporated into the design-so the holster can always be adjusted tighter if the holster loosens.

· Registered
117 Posts
I have a couple leather holsters laying around that I've had for a while. They fit the guns, but not very tight. Is there a trick that I could use to tighten them a little.

If I insert the pistol, and turn it upside down, it will fall out. I like it to be a lot tighter than that.

I thought about dipping them in water........????
Can you give me a little better description of the type of holster that you are trying to tighten??
Yes, you can soak in water for 24 hours, if sealed, and allow them to dry for 48 hours or so. If they are molded, while damp, re-bone them with a smooth screw driver or wooden knife handle. If they are too loose, you can always re-stitch and tighten. I'll be happy to help you with more info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.