1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M1991A1,

Never understood the whole .38 Super thing...why change the best thing about the 1911 (the .45 ACP Cartridge)? I have a Series 80 Combat Commander, but its getting on in years and I really want a new one without all the stupid Series 80 parts.

I have one of the new 1911A1 WW2 models and it is fantastic. Nice crisp trigger, super accurate and reliable, plus easier to fieldstrip without all the little firing pin parts to fart around with.

I sure hope Colt is listening...please Colt, a Series 70 Commander (any version!!) asap!!!

Thanks
B

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Never understood the whole .38 Super thing...
They were the greatest thing since sliced bread in 1929, they'd puncture them big ol' gangster cars.

'Course that's when gangsters were gangsters and not singers. :barf:

Edit for incorrect year, 1929 not 1927

·
Registered
809 Posts
I never thought that I would be interested in a .38 Super either, but I want a rig with a combo flashlight plus magazine carrier. That means only one spare magazine, and suddenly carrying 19 or 21 .38 Supers instead of 15 or 17 .45 ACPs sounds OK. I guess I got used to the idea of 18 rds minimum from carrying a revolver.

Would prefer a series 70 but I'd take a 1991.

Maybe they will offer a bright SS Commander in .38 Super. Make a nice pair with the BSS Govt.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Never understood the whole .38 Super thing...why change the best thing about the 1911 (the .45 ACP Cartridge)?
Cause when the .38 Super was introduced(1920's) big, heavy, thick skinned car and body armor were being used by gangster and other such criminals. The .38 super was about the biggest cartridge you could get in the existing firearms with enough power to penetrate the cars and body armor with enough caliber to kill the gangsters and other such criminals.

Of course as Ole Dan mentioned the was when gangster were gangsters and not singer wannabe's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts