1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously everyone here loves the .45 ACP, anyone on board with the .45 GAP? Curious if the .45 GAP gets anywhere near the respect of the .45 ACP.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
What does it do that the real .45 not do?

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly don't know, I was hoping someone would tell me that. It's the same diameter, right? So it's not like you can fit more rounds in the magazine and/or have a smalller grip. It's shorter but...not sure what that does for you.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
All it means to me is lighter bullets and higher pressures. Not a good combo for me.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I get so tired of people using the old cliche "answer looking for a question..." as a reason against something. If you don't like the caliber, don't buy it. Not a problem. For me, The GAP does exactly what it was intended to do. Gives me 45acp performance in a Glock that feels comfortable in my hand. I have some carpal problems, and although I can handle the larger framed G21, it doesn't feel "natural" The G21SF is better, but still doesn't handle, for me, as well as my G37.

1911s are my first choice, no question. But I do also enjoy my Glocks, and am very happy with my GAP. Is it for everyone? Probably not. But let's face it, EVERY major caliber could be said to be "useless" since once you have a gun that will serve several purposes, like 45acp for instance, then what need is there for 9mm, 40S&W, or 45Gap? Like most things in life, it seems that those who have them really like the caliber, and most of those who spread "hate" about it have never even shot one.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
9mm: pocket pistols, target practice (the "new .22")

.40: full size or compact pistol ammo for those who can't handle the .45 ACP

.45 GAP: uh...makes a nice little Wikipedia article?

.45 ACP: no need to explain

.357 Magnum: God of all cartridges, period. Only problem: not an autoloader.

.44 Magnum: hunting

.50 S&W: serious hunting

Every other cartridge in my opinion is just along for the ride, well except the .22.

I get so tired of people using the old cliche "answer looking for a question..." as a reason against something. If you don't like the caliber, don't buy it. Not a problem. For me, The GAP does exactly what it was intended to do. Gives me 45acp performance in a Glock that feels comfortable in my hand. I have some carpal problems, and although I can handle the larger framed G21, it doesn't feel "natural" The G21SF is better, but still doesn't handle, for me, as well as my G37.

1911s are my first choice, no question. But I do also enjoy my Glocks, and am very happy with my GAP. Is it for everyone? Probably not. But let's face it, EVERY major caliber could be said to be "useless" since once you have a gun that will serve several purposes, like 45acp for instance, then what need is there for 9mm, 40S&W, or 45Gap? Like most things in life, it seems that those who have them really like the caliber, and most of those who spread "hate" about it have never even shot one.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I understand that the only firearm company still making a weapon in 45GAP is Glock, and the only reason they have been selling any is because they are dropping prices. The PA State Police just went to them, I believe at the price of $299 per unit.

Lowest bidder wins, I guess.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Lessee....

Person X can't seem to comfortably get their mitts around a G21 but they still want a .45 bore. Enter the G37 and they can get a good grip on it. Problem solved.

Person Y could care less because they carry a 1911.

The only thing it does (what it was designed to do) is to allow people with smaller hands to be able to carry a .45 without having to resort to a .40

But a nice offshoot was when Springfield tried to make the .45 GAP "Defender", scrapped it and went with the EMP instead but the short action 1911 was born. Para Ordnance has single stack .45 GAP pistols now albeit they are compacts.

My GF likes 1911's but she's very petite and can't get a good grip on it. Thin grips don't feel right to her either. Well, she still wants a .45 so I for one hope that a GAP framed Commander is made sometime soon. With a short trigger it will probably be perfect for her.

So in conclusion, it's not useless. Just because one person doesn't see a need for it doesn't mean that no one does.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I understand that the only firearm company still making a weapon in 45GAP is Glock, and the only reason they have been selling any is because they are dropping prices. The PA State Police just went to them, I believe at the price of $299 per unit.

Lowest bidder wins, I guess.
Para Ordnance offers pistols in .45 GAP and Springfield Armory may in the future. They also still sell the XD in .45 GAP as well.

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Well, cool beans I reckon. Good to know.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I think they only did it to piss me off when sorting through my range brass....

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
But a nice offshoot was when Springfield tried to make the .45 GAP "Defender", scrapped it and went with the EMP instead but the short action 1911 was born. Para Ordnance has single stack .45 GAP pistols now albeit they are compacts.

I was somewhat intrigued by the Defender. If it had been a 4", I would have really been enthused (not enough to buy one, however). I think the STI LS9 makes more sense as a compact, 1911-esque 9mm, because the 1911 already has a pretty good grip frame, but the slide can certainly be downsized for smaller cartridges, and the EMP doesn't address that.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
9mm: pocket pistols, target practice (the "new .22")

.40: full size or compact pistol ammo for those who can't handle the .45 ACP

.45 GAP: uh...makes a nice little Wikipedia article?

.45 ACP: no need to explain

.357 Magnum: God of all cartridges, period. Only problem: not an autoloader.

.44 Magnum: hunting

.50 S&W: serious hunting

Every other cartridge in my opinion is just along for the ride, well except the .22.
Good list...but I think the 357 sig deserves mention

357 Sig: For those people who wish there was a 357 Mag autoloader small enough to carry (I know the sig isn't a 357 mag...but its as close as you can get in a concealable autoloader)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I was somewhat intrigued by the Defender. If it had been a 4", I would have really been enthused (not enough to buy one, however). I think the STI LS9 makes more sense as a compact, 1911-esque 9mm, because the 1911 already has a pretty good grip frame, but the slide can certainly be downsized for smaller cartridges, and the EMP doesn't address that.
I always thought the ejection port was shorter fore and aft on the EMP. Or are you talking about slide thickness?

But I agree. A "Champion" in .45 GAP would be an awesome carry gun for my GF or others with smaller than average hands.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts