1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mine bites the crap out of my hand when shooting it, gotta take it off and polish the edges smooth, then reblue.

if some of you went to a high grip beavertail, raise your hand

·
Registered
149 Posts
My SA basic stainless began to bite me so I had a Smith and Alexander grip safety with memory bump installed. I really like it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Which safety?

Ok I have the non WWII model, are any of the ones on Brownells going to fit on my gun? I appreciate the help! The cost of one of those and the "jig" to install it beats the heck out of sending it to springfield to pay $90 bucks to get one of theirs put on. And i have a friend who will do it who knows how to do these things.

·
Registered
140 Posts
wilson and king have drop in grip safeties. i purchased the king grip safety since they offered one that would work with the standard hammer. i think the wilson one requires you to have a commander style hammer. i haven't put it on yet...i'm in my waiting period for my norinco....

-kotonk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Smith and Alexander offers an extended grip safety that is designed to fit on the 220 degree Springfield frames, thats the one Im going to get. But what finish do I get to go with my parkerized gun?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Farnsworth said:
Smith and Alexander offers an extended grip safety that is designed to fit on the 220 degree Springfield frames, thats the one Im going to get. But what finish do I get to go with my parkerized gun?
STOP!! that 220 frame they are refering to is the loaded model. One of those high grip beaver tails WILL NOT FIT a unmodified Mil-spec.

Bottom line is your going to have to cut the frame to install ANY grip safety not designed as a drop in for uncut military style frames.

·
Registered
3 Posts
has anyone here used th king's gunworks safety that says you don't need to modify the frame to use it, is it just a littl longer than the stock one? Will it be goofy looking? And will it stop hammer bite?

·
Banned
7,483 Posts
Wilson makes a "drop in" beavertail grip safety which should fit as the Government Model has the same frame. If it needs to be fit grind the safety, not the frame. I put one of these on my old Colt's Commander, the very short tang on this pistol would cut the web on my hand (not hammer bite), but I didn't want to alter the pistol in any way.

Of course, one of the reasons I bought the WW2 model was the duplication of all the USGI features, including no beaver tail.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
140 Posts
has anyone here used th king's gunworks safety that says you don't need to modify the frame to use it, is it just a littl longer than the stock one? Will it be goofy looking? And will it stop hammer bite?
goofy is in the eye of the beholder. i got one for my norinco and personally think it looks a little goofy. i should be receiving my digital camera any day now...when i get it i'll post a pick.

-kotonk

·
Registered
30 Posts
CAPTAIN_AMERICA said:
I bought my SA used and the previous owner had put most of the aftermarket parts on that you see in the pic. It does have the dropin Kings grip safety on it. For my taste I am not looking for a show piece, I am looking for a shooter. The Kings drop in may not look the best but it works very well, and I am not patient enough to wait several months for a gunsmith to install one and send my gun back to me, not to mention the cost.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,635 Posts

While this is not a Springfield MilSpec, the grip safety and frame tang does not bite at all. It is probably the most comfortable grip. All the edges were dehorned and rounded. It is a Caspian 1911 Retro by Larry Vickers.

·
Super Moderator
13,635 Posts
Parkerized.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts