1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went ahead and turned my stainless milspec over to my pistolsmith to install a beavertail grip safety and a commander hammer. Just not content to leave well enough alone.

Anyone else?

patsue

·
Banned
597 Posts
What brand milspec do you have?

I was thinking of doing something similar. I keep getting caught in the "while it's there I might as wel...." loop though and wind up wanting to drop $600.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I started out with a basic stainless Springfield 1911A1. Added MMC adjustable sights, S&A beavertail, Wilson trigger, Wilson magwell and Hogue grips. I guess I've got close to a "loaded" version now.
If I buy another gun, it will probably be a SF loaded.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Beavertail and a few more items

I tried using the factory grip tang, even after a fairly radical edge rounding and it still dug a hole in my had. I had a beavertail put on when I was having some other work done on my Mil Spec Ultra Compact. I love the final results.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In answer to the question which mil-spec I am asking about, it is a Springfield Armory stainless mil-spec. I think he is going to use wilson and ed brown products for the upgrade.

patsue

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
My ideal .45 for combat (the M1911A2) would have:

A beavertail grip safety

A pad on the safety to allow positive disengagement when shooting with a Weaver or similar grip.

More modern (higher and wider) sights than the M1911A1

A ramped barrel (a la Paraordnance)

Set up for .45 Super with a tubular soft-armor piercing round as the standard War Round.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a SA Mil Spec in 38 Super and being extremely
subject to hammer bite, I have installed a beaver
tail grip safety. Nothing else. I am happy with it
just like it is. All my 1911s have the BT safety except
a Rock Island which has the longer tang and even on
it I worked off part of the hammer tang. If I did not
do these mods, I would have a hole in the web of
my hand. Can't help it, I just hold high and hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts