1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up another .45-70 rifle tomorrow... Browning Model 1885 High Wall. It'll be my third .45-70. Others are, 1874 Shiloh Sharps and Marlin Guide Gun.

Reloading this cartridge is a blast! It's so versatile. In addition, there's nothing like spending an afternoon at the range and peering through the vernier tang sights and hearing BOOM!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Son

I shoot a Shiloh chambered in .45-70, mostly with blackpowder now. The first time out at the range I used 405 grn. Remington's and w/ a good tang sight and front globe, got some really incredible groups at 200 yrds.

As you well know, the blackpowder is a lot of fun - easy to load - I use FFg and Lyman 520 hardcast bullet over a veg. wad and Mag primers. I'm always looking for some space in CT and/or NY State to really work this load out over long range.

I'd be interested in knowing how you like the guide gun. With 300gr bullets it should make a perfect Penn. Deer Rifle.

Regards,

Roger D

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My father got me hooked on the 45-70 and big bore single shot rifles when I was about 10 years old. I've never left it. He and I regularly cast, reload, and shoot this wonderful cartridge. To date I have a Pedersoli Sharps, a Garrett Sharps carbine (cartridge conversion), an original Remington Rolling Block, and a Shiloh. I also have a Shiloh in 50-70, what a blast.

[This message has been edited by A Johnston (edited 06-30-2001).]

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a Marlin 1895 and a Ruger #1 in 45/70 and really enjoy them.
I have large hands and loading for varmint cals. is a little difficult but loading for 45/70 is great. I like big bullets anyway.
I hunt mule deer with my rifles and they are like the hammer of Thor when one of those big slugs connects. I've even shot ground squirrels with them, what a blast, lots of dirt flying even if you hit. never just a wounded rat either. You either kill or miss outright.The only trouble is they eat lead at a high rate, bullets weighs anywhere fron 340gr. to 500grs. and that is hard to swallow sometimes. Please share you favorite smokeless loads with me if you would, cast bullets. Thanks in advance.Shooter973

------------------
I won't be lied to, be insulted, or have hands laid on me, I don't do these things to others, and I expect the same from them.

Stupidity should be painful.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Shooter973.... Those 45-70s sure do eat lead but my big 50 is even worse. I've got one mould for a 600grn 50-70
I most frequently load the 45-70 with 38gr of IMR 4198 topped of with a 405gn projectile in a W-W case. When I introduce my friends to the 45-70 I like to give 'em a 405gn bullet backed up with 54gr of IMR 3031 just for "kicks".

·
Registered
695 Posts
That Marlin Guide Gun is awesome...Like the 1911...The 45 70 has so much history behind it...back to the days of buffalo hunting with tilt up 1000 yard iron sights...Cowboy and Indian battles...and damn it does go kaboom......

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's so funny that at my fairly young age (27) that I love the old gun styles. Most of my collegues are into the modern, tactical black plastic guns. Don't take me wrong, I own a few of those plastic guns too but nothing compares to metal and wood.

When I first got into shooting, I was into Glocks, HK's, SIGs, AR-15's, etc. Then my taste changed to 1911's, Falling and Rolling blocks, Over/Unders and precision bolt action rifles.

It's great to be an American to have these choices in our lives. Don't ever forget that!

·
Registered
695 Posts
I almost bought an old 45 70 with an octagon barrel and tilt up sights...It must have been and old U.S. Cavelry rifle...It had U.S. stamped on the side and it had a ramrod which was strange because it shot cartridges...It was pretty long too...and it definately had a lot of wood on it...I passed it up at 400 bucks and have regretted it since...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Ruger No. 1 that my wife gave me as an engagement present. I love it. It is so handy and quick to point. I've never shot factory out of it and typically shoot 405g cast and 300g Remington JHP. I hunt with my 45/70 and it hasn't let me down. Some people complain about the effective range, but I enjoy getting close and hunting in the woods. I must admit, I have a VarX-II 3x9 on it. My wife had a Zeiss on it when she gave it to me, it is now on my 30-06AI. I'm tinking about going to a peep sight but don't know what brand. Cabelas sells one that mounts to rib. My original dove tail no longer stays in place.

tjg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ah, the 45-70.

Have a Pedersoli Sharps and a Guide gun.. Shoot405s out of the sharps. Am waiting for some 455gr. LBTs from Cast Performance for the Guide Gun..Should make some serious loads. If you've never tried LBT cast bullets in handguns or rifles you are missing the boat, They are harder than wood pecker lips and shoot like crazy!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Son. A Marlin 1895 is a part of the camping gear. The wife and I could have chosen a 12G shotgun however we shoot the .45/70 better and we feel we are more reliable with it. Stoked with 405 gr. jacketed hollow points. Teal Blue.

[This message has been edited by Teal Blue (edited 07-01-2001).]

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I was helping a friend move this weekend, and a deer walked onto his property, grazing. It was about 60 yards away, broadside. I mentioned, "Hey, I oughta be able to hit that deer with my 45-70 (Guide Gun)." He says "HIT IT?? You oughta be able to blow the a**hole out of it." I about fell over laughing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes, I carry a 45-70 Guide Gun when I head into the Bush, It handles real quick and it is most comforting. I shoot 400gr Hardcast Lead. This rifle moved some of the others to the back of the closet, It's great.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also like the 45-70 and own and hunting with either my Marlin 1895 topped with a 1X4 scope, or my Browning high wall.
I also went out and and bought the 450 Marlin and having been using it recently as its a little flatter shooter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
About 10 years ago I ran across a Winchester 1886 in .33 WCF that someone had attached a Lyman reciever sight to the barrel over the chamber. Was looking to buy a Brown Bess but that '86 came home instead.

Sent it to Dale Storey in Casper Wyoming and now have a 1/2 rd 1/2 oct 26" barrel, full magazine tube, shotgun butt, 3x walnut stocks .45-70 beauty that with open sights will keep 5 rds loaded with black in 2" at 100yds and if I load Remington 300 grn, 3 shots will do 1.25 inch.

With either load the gun is a blast to shoot and boy can you draw attention to yourself when you let off a full magazine of 9 rds that were loaded with black powder!

Keep your Sharps, Ruger #1's,'85 Highwalls, and the Marlins. The '86 Winchester is what they all want to grow up to be.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Have new mfg Win 1886 Takedown. Have shot I doe running little over 100 yds-damage impressive. Attended informal practice session last weekend w/"big boys" @ 400-500 yds w/hi$ Sharps target models-extremely kool X 10. Ordered Vernier tang sight for 1886 to see if we can PLAY. I was w/em to 200 yds and w/better sites, well we will see.
Them Sharps, damn purdy rifles and they shoot good too!

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is for all of you '86 shooters. I posted earlier about my Marlin. Now it time for me to fess up. I became interested in the 45/70 after shooting trapdoor springfields with my kid brother. Then it was the western movie Hombrie where Paul Newman carries a very large caliber rifle. I thought it was a Marlin. Finally it was a visit to Fort Mesa Verde in Arizona where they have a collection of authentic Apache weapons, some are Winchesters in heavy calibers. So, I got a good deal on a Marlin 1895 and it is a fine rifle. I had a chance to see Hombrie again and no it is not a Marlin. It is a Winchester. Is it an 1886? A little help here please. Teal Blue

1 - 20 of 20 Posts